A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deteriating chrome on 2002 S8

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deteriating chrome on 2002 S8

My chrome trimlookslike heck on this car and did on my previous car a 98 A8.Dealer says factory won,t do anything about it. Its mottled, kind of milky and won't clean up. They say it has to do with something they put on streets in winter in Colo, so I am wondering if any cars in no snow areas have the same problem. It is the same on the trim on the upper edges on the doors as well as the lower areas so I really think its a defect and not the snow melt chem.Thanks, JIM
Old 05-08-2006, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same here in TX. I'm considering turning to a professional detailing shop.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This issue really pisses me off.

There's got to be a way to clean that stuff up, and Audi's refusal to figure out a solution for once and for all is just completely lame.

"Road chemicals" is just a smokescreen. I have the same thing, and I guarantee we have no road chemicals in winter here in GA. Tell them to stick their road chemicals where the sun don't shine.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default happened to a guy here, turned out he was at fault

using a regular noname trailer hitch instead of Audis own A8 trailer hitch. In his case it was an electrochemical reaction between the hitch and the car, they had to use a lot of force to break the hitch free from the car.

After replacing the hitch mount on the car (it was damaged when the hitch was yanked off) and using an approved Audi A8 hitch he has had no more problems with discoloured chrome.

You haven't got any big unoriginal metal pieces on your car? I can imagine certain alloy wheels will do a fine job of corroding metal.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:38 AM

Default I do not think it is actual metal but

more of the clearcoat that is fading and discoloring. I do know someone from this forum tried to wet sand with extra fine grid sandpaperand buffed it to bring back the shine. Maybe I might try on the small spot and see if it works.
I have 2001 and mine isn't as bad assome others I have seen but it is still milky.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default After having the car detailed, most stipes are clear--but cloud up again very soon.

Have used 2-3 brands of chrome polish. Adam's appears to be the best so far in removing most of the milky-colored haze, but it doesn't last.

The stripes around the windscreen and read window, and the upper part of the door frames are metal, but the ones on the bumpers, door sides, and lower window frames I'm not sure about, even though urban myth claims that they're metal.

Regardless, I'm parking next to Camrys with sparkling chrmoe stripes and feel embarassed for the constant spotiness of mine--like Samantha in Sex & the City with the fake Fendi purse.

Next time I'm taking the car in for a bumper paint, etc., I plan on asking a professional detailer to micro-sand or apply other technique to grind through the clearcoat and restore as much of the original shine.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I tried wet sanding a small section and I think it's aluminum. I was planning on wet sanding it just

like I did to the wheel lips when I have the bumper off to do TB job. If anyone knows a way to remove it w/o taking the bumper off, I'll try it sooner.

Bob
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Snowmelt chemicals

Yes, the snow melt chemicals they use here on the roads in Phoenix is doing the same thing to my A8!!!!! BS
Old 05-09-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Deteriating chrome on 2002 S8

My 2002 S8 is the same and I am in England, so it is not the roadchemicals at all!

I wonder is it is moisture gettingunder the clearcoat? I tried several polishes last weekend and although it looks better, it still has that milky dullness about it.

has anyone actually cut into one of these trims? Is it metal, or plastic?

Thanks

Alan S
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the same milky, mottled pattern on my chrome 1995 S6. Don't know how to fix.

Quick Reply: Deteriating chrome on 2002 S8