A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the brake light share a common earth with...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does the brake light share a common earth with...

the airbag module ? I could swear that both the airbag light on the dash and the brake light warning in the center display came on at the same time.....My brakelights appear to be working fine and when I run pro-diag, no fault codes come up. Any body have any ideas ?
cheers
Old 01-18-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes, with the high brake light

... at least on a US model 2000 A8. They end up attached to the chassis at point 43, along with many other things, in the right side footwell. The URL below shows a copy of a service bulletin regarding this location, posted by PaulW. The lower brake lights are grounded in the trunk.

There is also be some shielding of components (igniters maybe, I don't remember) in the back seat which may share a ground with the lower brake lights. But those aren't direct electrical connections to the airbag controller.

If earthing to aluminium instead of grounding to aluminum means your car is right hand drive, it is possible that the chassis attachment locations are different too.

It is very strange that the airbag light would come on with no codes stored. Is Pro-diag dependable?

Tom<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/46914.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/46914.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yup, mines a 2000, but......

I did find a fault code the second time I connected on my way to work this am. I just updated to 1.0803, ran the module autofind and bingo ! Pro-diag has been fantastic so far, pulled codes, cleared cel's and reprogrammed my tranny and central locking. I would've gone with VAGCOM but I'm a Mac person, and we don't get no love......

65535 U48023 128- internal control module memory: checksum error. Sporadic.

Looks like my control module might be fried, I'll look it up when I get home. Thanks for the link though.

The TSB says that a bad ground there might also be responsible for shifting mishaps- any ideas how they might manifest themselves ?

I also say "tom-ah-toe" and spell color "colour". But I'm one of you now........almost....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Yup, mines a 2000, but......

Good to hear that Pro-diag is a credible alternative, though I admire and benefit from Ross-Tech's high standards. Agreed about the Mac; with incorporation of NeXT technologies they are once again exemplary in a good way.

I'd guess that shifting problems caused by a bad ground aren't subtle if they're the result of the transmission controller (TCU) going into limp-home mode. If the problem disrupts communication between the engine controller and TCU, that should set a code. If it significantly reduces the current to solenoid valves, I'd expect that to eventually set a low voltage code in the TCU. But it may well work differently than I'd expect.

Tom