A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Door Noise

I have a 2001 A8L. Love everything about it but the noise that seems to come from the rubber gasket around the window frame on the front door rubbing on the rubber gasket in the inside of the door frame. Anyone else have this problem?. The Dealer doesn't seem to hear it.
One other note. Having my last two car being a Lexus GS and ES, I am spolied from the level of servive they provided. Audi has a long way to go in this area, but my particular dealer is trying very hard and I thought I should mention some good work they have done. They replace my front winshield under warranty when it cracked from being hit by a rock. There was a small flaw in the window when I got the car but not bad enough to deal with getting it changed. When I pointed it out to them and stated that it was not something I would expect on such a car, they stepped up and replaced it at no charge.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:38 AM

Default Creaks and squeeks driving me nuts too!

It's amazing to me that a car of this quality would not have a solution to this problem. I too asked my dealer about it and they suggested it was the seat belt mechanism located on the pillar, but this is definitely not the cause. I believe it is the rubber gasket as well.

I did a search on this topic and found an older post dealing with this issue, but I'd love to hear any new solutions!

I've resorted to keeping the music loud enough to drown out the squeaking. ;-)
Old 12-11-2001, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Drivers Door Noise

I've noticed my A8L drivers window squeals a bit when it is going up or down, but otherwise is quiet. Is that the noise you refer to?

Ken
2001 A8L
Old 12-11-2001, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Creaks and squeeks driving me nuts too!

I have identified the noise comming from the area where the two rubber gaskets meet when the door is closed. I have made the noise go away by powdering both surfaces so they don't squeek when they rub but this only lasts a few days. I was trying to get the dealer to adjust the door so the closure is firmer but they don't see my logic. If I find something that is perment, I will advise..
Old 12-12-2001, 05:17 PM

Default Talcum Powder

I have successfully used talcum powder to eliminate the noise - it is definitely the rubber. Use a cloth and put a little around the door sealing rubber. BayArea8L is correct that this only lasts for a few days. I haven't found anything that works better/longer.

The rubber compound that Audi uses seems to make noise when it rubs together.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:39 PM

Default Anyone have a longer lasting solution?

I too thought about this, actually I was thinking about baby powder, but there must be a better solution.

Has anyone ever tried a rubber conditioner (ie armor-all) ? I hate to be the guinea pig and wind up making the problem worse. ;-)
Old 12-12-2001, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Anyone have a longer lasting solution?

I have come accross some graphite lubercant used in my factory. It is very light in feel and color. Hopefully it won't make a mess. I will be trying it tomorrow and will advise on its effectiveness and duration..