A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Don't get winter tires, get 18" winter wheels with all season tires...Agreed!

Chronic, can you recommend a good-looking 18" wheel for a silver/black 04 A8L? Thanks!

Greenie
Old 07-01-2003, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)

Pots, will you be getting 18" wheels for the winter?

Greenie
Old 07-01-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don't get winter tires, get 18" winter wheels with all season tires...Agreed!

I'm looking to see if someone is willing to sell the five spoke factory wheels on another A8L owner upgrading...then maybe even look at the 18" RS6 wheels....the Alpins on my allroad work really well in the white stuff.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Chronic, take a look at the 31st thread(18" wheel on Pearl White......by Sleeper). Not a bad looking wheel from AAA Wheels. Whats your opinion? Thanks!!

greenie
Old 07-01-2003, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I guess I'll have to....have a few months to figure out what to get.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Default My impressions after 400 miles...

I did drive my baby all the way to redline a few times and the TQ seems to die out at around 4200RPM or so. Car feels a bit heavy off the line but once moving it seems to accelerate pretty well. Nose seems a bit heavy on "slalom" style driving. I'm not quite use to the steering, seems much more sensitive than the A6 4.2 I had. MMI is very intuitive and very user friendly. One thing I don't like is Driver and Passenger AC/Heater controls, the fan is not "split" in Driver-Pass. If I turn my fan down both sides go down and vise versa. My AC seems to take a bit long to cool and ventilated seats, well I can't feel any air coming from it.
Also, unfortunately my car will be going in for service already...my steering is making a loud metal rubbing noise when turning sharp from right to left, Audi techs can't figure it out yet, hope I won't have to deal with "first year production bugs"
So far, it's been a pleasure driving this car and do get lots of stares!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:24 AM

I got the 18" wheels. Nolw I am sorry I didn't opt for the 19's and buy a set of 18's as you are doing. I guess I figured with my tracj record of not keeping any car, that it woul dbe a waste of money having to buy th eother set of wheels.

I am also enjoying the car, but as stated in my new post above, hope I won't have to suffer, as I did, with the first car introduction blues.

A few small problems cropping up.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Helper, I read your post concerning your early build troubles. The dealer should have NO problem straightening them out. I am NOT happy about being told that I should purchase 18" wheels for the winter. I was induced(although Caveat Emptor prevails!)by the dealer to "forget" about BMW and Mercedes because they do not offer Quattro. Oh well, I believe that there is NO match for the A8L and I will only become disguntled twice a year when I change rims!!

greenie
Old 07-02-2003, 09:58 AM

The 19" wheels do look great. As I said, if I planned to keep the car more than 2 winters I would have definetely gotten them for this car. After seeign another car with them on, I am sorry I didn't regardless. They look fabulous!!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Driving Impressions of my incoming A8L & 18" winter tires (for greenie)

From a point of view from a salesman at Audi, I would recommend the 18" all season tires myself, if I felt the customer was a business lease type person (as I fell into this "trap" with my '00 4.2) and opted not to get the 17" pie plates that I ended up purchasing later. From a drivers point of view, it only makes sense to drive high performance tires in the summer and have all seasons for the end of the fall...to the middle of the spring. Heck, I even do this with my 993 Cabriolet and I rarely pull it out of the garage during the winter months.

Those guys whom opted for the 18" wheels...and really wanted 19" high performance wheels fell into the same boat I did...but then again my father would never consider having 2 sets of wheels for his MB S500, being a company leased car.

It's not a matter of Audi not being the ultimate winter traction machine as opposed to "the ultimate sliding machine"....Greenie it's a matter of having a low profile high performance wheel setup which is not optimum for winter performance due to the tread pattern and low side wall...if you like to drive, you made to right choice...just get a set of 18" all seasons and you'll be happier for years...and in all seasons driving conditions!

Mike G
'04 A8L Night Blue...awaiting delivery next week
'01 allroad with all the toys
'00 A6 4.2 about to be turned in
'97 Porsche-Gemballa 993 C4 Cab

Quick Reply: Driving Impressions of my 2004 A8 (not that long)