A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evaluating/selling my A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaluating/selling my A8

Unfortunately i need to sell this baby,(having a very hard time letting this car go) due to certain family needs( $ ) also my wife thinks it to pricy to maintain. I recently had a daughter so kinda need a few extra bucks.
anyways,
I don't what a realistic price is for the car. About the car;
2000 a8L 40v, black exterior, and a beautiful orange/red-redish interior. The car is in absolutely perfect condition with barely any signs of ware. As you know i just finished my 90,000 maintenance (TB change,water pump, few pulleys, etc.) Also changed my transmission 6k back, and changed the tranny oil + filter.
What is a realistic price for this car to be sold? anyone interested?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
Unfortunately i need to sell this baby,(having a very hard time letting this car go) due to certain family needs( $ ) also my wife thinks it to pricy to maintain. I recently had a daughter so kinda need a few extra bucks.
anyways,
I don't what a realistic price is for the car. About the car;
2000 a8L 40v, black exterior, and a beautiful orange/red-redish interior. The car is in absolutely perfect condition with barely any signs of ware. As you know i just finished my 90,000 maintenance (TB change,water pump, few pulleys, etc.) Also changed my transmission 6k back, and changed the tranny oil + filter.
What is a realistic price for this car to be sold? anyone interested?
I think you are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after your last ordeal. The timing belt and transmission are by far the most $$$$, the rest is not that bad when you can diy. We got your back. Give it a few weeks and reevaluate. Also, the D2 A8L is not only a fantastic car with a huge backseat. It's also very SAFE, 10 airbags. What would you get instead, no car can compete with that backseat, a minivan or SUV?

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck!
Cheers!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha thats funny, i guess your right (not about the disorder so I talked to my wife..... and i get to keep both my babies. And i can't leave this forum, i like it too much.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes considering what you could sell it for there is not a lot of money to be saved unless you replace the A8 with a beater. It'd be kind of dumb to waste all the money you put into your car by selling it now also. That money does not come back to you when you sell on so it's wise to amortize that cost over several years.

If however you are really hurting for cash then yes, by all means, sell the A8 and take the bus or get an old Acura Legend or something you can bang around in for very little money. It's just a car.

Unlike what some people seem to think, you can't go out and buy a new Kia or something like that and end up with more money in your pocket. At least not in this state where the ownership tax is high on new cars, sales tax costs more than a year's worth of service on a decent used car, etc. A decent car that's paid for and the major service is complete can be very cheap to own if you actually take into account all the money you spend if you get something else.

I bet a bunch of cars like the A8/S8 will be on the market very cheap now with gas getting expensive again. People who are bad at math seem to prefer a $2000 sales tax bill, $800 in ownership tax and a $400 car payment to $50 extra in gas per month for some reason.

-Joel.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the things you look for in determining the value of a house is a "comp". A comparable home that recently sold in your area. I don't know where you are located but I definitely can offer a "comp" car. In Jan I bought an 2000 A8L with 120K from a private party.

Like yours, the T-belt complete service had been done very recently. Also like yours the Tranny had been rebuilt and came with a 1 yr written warranty from the rebuild shop. It is Champagne color (pearl paint) and in excellent condition except for a few normal things which I had done the first week. These included a set of tires, final drive seal, rear member seal and one tie rod end. I am quite happy with the car except the noisy timing chain tensioner on cold start up.

It was located in Chicago and I paid $8,200 for it. I feel good knowing the tranny was done even though the shop was not a national chain and I am 3 hrs east in MI.

What I found was there were next to no newer than 1999 A8 near me in MI except for some wrecks or cars from shyster used car dealers who couldn't tell me anything about maint history. I looked from Oct through Dec. I was also looking for an "L" which narrowed my choices further. There were more 2004 and up available but out of my price range.

The price I paid may not be the figure you'd have in mind (everybody thinks theirs is worth more, it's human nature). However, the lack of other A8l availability may work in your favor.

Good luck.