A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Facelift front Control Arm Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Facelift front Control Arm Kit Install

Went pretty much the same as outlined on audipages.com.... Except the lower front balljoints were a bitch to get out. If there is a special tool, get it. I end up destroying the old arm on both sides, and then had just the hardened steel ball joint stump left. On the first side, driver's side, I heated it, then let it soak with penetrating fluid overnight and the next day, 3 hits to the spindle and then it popped out. On the passenger's side (6:30 am this morning) the same lower front balljoint was also a PITA This time the stump of the joint came out with the steel bushing that press fits into the spindle upright. Once it came out I heated the sleeve with a MAPP gas torch until it started to turn red and was then able to knock the ball joint core out. Oh yeah, I also swapped out the strut and springs with Bilsteins and B&G springs. Quite firm but too soon to draw any conclusions yet. I've got to do the back end, then get it aligned first. Neat stance right now though. ...And its tighter than a choir boy's...nevermind..its tight.

The take away, with the steel spindled cars, the dealbreaker is the top through-bolt that captures the outbaord end of both top arms. With the aluminum upright cars, the lower balljoints, particularly the front ones are.