A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump source in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump source in the U.S.?

My fuel pump just went out on my '01 A8 and the only source I've found for just the pump (not the whole $990 assembly) is in the UK.

Does anyone know of a source in the U.S.? I need one quickly as this is my daily driver.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UK is the only source for the CORRECT pump other than buying the whole assembly from a dealer. Someone reported success by purchasing used from force5auto.com
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oc63rag
My fuel pump just went out on my '01 A8 and the only source I've found for just the pump (not the whole $990 assembly) is in the UK.

Does anyone know of a source in the U.S.? I need one quickly as this is my daily driver.

Thanks for any help.
Here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Siem...be6a6b&vxp=mtr

"Damn, that was fast! 2 Day Shipping to Seattle, USA, Thanks otomotech A+"
Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I did some more searching and found a pump at a company called Python Injection. It turns out they're close to me here in Orange County so I'm going to give that one a try.

Does anyone know for sure if the gasket kit (part # 4d0 298 133c) is an absolute must or can the old ones be reused?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A few notes:
1. If it's just the pump that's gone bad, and it actually has died, then the gaskets may be able to be reused. Try flipping the weird, metal, trapezoid-like one over if it doesn't seat right the first time.

2. If it's a little bit of both, (pump and suction) then replace it all, new gaskets and everything, and don't forget to "prime the pump" afterwards by filling up the tank. (this is the most likely scenario.)

3. Obviously, if it's just the gaskets, and the pump still creates the proper fuel pressure, without worn-bearing noise, then try just replacing the gaskets. Don't tighten everything down too tight, either.

4. MOST IMPORTANT, REALLY... The VDO pump is the ONLY one that will work with the saddle-bag config of our A8s. If a different company's pump fits in the housing, but doesn't have an absolutely identical interface and internal plumbing, it will be worse than useless, as it will waste your time to pull back out, return it, and wait for the correct one to ship to you. (mine got stuck in customs, and Spain is an E.U. country!)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The part I ordered through eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Si...b#ht_678wt_827

from this seller...

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/otomotech/...id=p4340.l2559

full disclosure: For some barely rational reason, I have this feeling like I need to disclose in this thread that, while I actually do work for Siemens, here in Spain, I in no way benefit from them making their aftermarket so damned expensive, complicated, and hard to come by.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default you can blame Conti

them making their aftermarket so damned expensive, complicated, and hard to come by.
You can blame Continental for that one.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I did some more searching and found a pump at a company called Python Injection. It turns out they're close to me here in Orange County so I'm going to give that one a try.

Does anyone know for sure if the gasket kit (part # 4d0 298 133c) is an absolute must or can the old ones be reused?
Let us know how that works out...you may be the first to document success with a Python pump in an A8. Myself? ...I would NOT consider it. Use the right pump and you'll only have to do a difficult job once.

I would only use old gaskets if I treated them with a good rubber restorer while out...and no cracks or deformation visible...good luck.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone tried the Python pump and experienced failure or is it an unknown? I really don't want to do this twice if I can avoid it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone tried the Python pump and experienced failure or is it an unknown? I really don't want to do this twice if I can avoid it.
First...too good to be true? >>>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ight=fuel+pump

Apparently so...follow up >>>

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/64317.phtml

Quick Reply: Fuel pump source in the U.S.?