A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank problem/pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info, but ... few days ago I figured it out ... hope so ... well - first of all I took evberything out and what horrible things I saw - first of all pums wasn't real one - it had only one "suckin hole" or fuel intake - no other hole where it pushes fuel out ... so - I got the pump I needed, than with some "good" luck I broke off that otube that is connected to out side and connects to that evil dark magic thing in gas tank... so I went to lathe and turned from tube exact copy in steel and changed all gaskets I could ... than had problems with old fuel lines from pump to fuel filter - it was like fountain in trunk ... ok - installed new fuel line and new copper seals + new filter ... and figured out one thing ... germans are reeeeeaaaallly evil ... cause everything is simple to take apart and put together, but for me as tall man it was hell (don't have to talk about torture in trunk) ... I even yelled at them from my garage pit ... but ... now I've driven for 15 miles and it is still running ... and I'm at the half tank now ... will have to see soon... If anyone wants to see those awful things I did I can show some pictures
Thanks a lot again best of wishes to everyone in here.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you got it sorted, I would keep a gas can with a gallon of gas in the trunk until you are sure it's fixed.

-Richard
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes I have smth around 2 gallons of fuel in trunk just to be sure
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default again - mystery

Hi again ...
I have almoast the same problem again.
Last time I fixed it with different pump, but now is smth mysterious...
So ... in it started in december, my car had fuel around begining of red line (reserve) smth about 15l. I always put my a8 with rear end near garage on slope around 10 degrees, so I come out - start engine, let it heat up and clean snow of it... after few minutes I drive up the hill to finish cleaning and remove snow from driveway, that get in and start to drive ... after 40meters car starts to choce and slowly stalls ... first I thought smth broke ... but than added 20liters of gas and it startet after few turn overs it spits out flames and dark smoke and I can drive ... ok - I thought it was once ... next day the same, but than I added 10l of fuel still had around 20 in tank... few days later I started it and it died after few minutes with around 30l in tank... than I added 2l of fuel and could drive for 30min with no problems. So I noticed after I add fuel I can use fuel I added + almoast all of it ... It repeated few times and than it stopped or I never drove it close to red line ... 2 days ago I was too lazy to drive in tank and parked my car for same way and this morning I started it and same procedure with snow and heat up ... drove up the hill - it stalled ... I had around 8l of fuel in tank ... so just for experiment I added 100-200 grams of fuel ... and it started ... I left it running for 5 mins ... than parked with nose down ... went afterd fuel and after 1.5 hours started it again, all was well went for little drive and sliding around, used atleast 2-3l of fuel, than parked it nose down... after 4 hours had to drive 4km and it stalled after 1km ... added half liter of fuel and I could drive 3km park it for 1hour and 40min ... and drive home ... all these damn problems have one thing in common before parking outside temperature was higher than zero and all was good but when it dropped below -4 degrees celsius this happens ...
So any good advice?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you havent removed your pump from tank before. There is only 1 simple mystery - gas pump. Its only 1 thing that can fail. So try to replace it and youll be fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced it, 1 week ago removed it and checked it - it was all ok ...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

then it has to do something with syphone...possible..
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

those valves that are in syphon system in gas tank? may be clean them somehow? is there any gasket of fuelpump rear side that goes in the holder? there are 2 openings one is bigger one is smaller - any gaskets on them?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

might be...i would take out everything and recheck carefully..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

no - I will not take that thing out, too hard for me. I will try to take out pump tomorrow to take a look at that system

Quick Reply: Gas tank problem/pump