A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R's for S8, who's got em?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R's for S8, who's got em?

I'm about 80% sure I wanna do this soon, but I'd feel better if I heard from somebody who's done it. I've heard the factory S8 suspension is better than the H&R because of how well it handles but yet rides really smooth. I'm the kinda guy that I don't' mind so much if the ride gets a little rougher though. I'd like to stiffin it up some and lower it a tad, so anybody been there done that?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If my S8 were any lower...

with the standard suspension I would not be able to go over speed bumps greater than 2 MPH!

Let us know how it turns out.

Beautiful car, BTW - is that the original paint?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It is orginal paint...

thanks for the compliment. I used to own a chain of detail shops so I've got a elaborate set up at home just for keeping her clean. Had a "detail day" at my house for the local guys a week or so ago. Had a great turn out. Check out the pix. Link below. I tell ya though, I've run across a wax that has impressed me more than any wax I've seen in a long time. It's the new Meguiar's #21. It's a long story, but just trust me and Try it! http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars21.html<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/southeast/msgs/26196.phtml">Post about</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 AM

If you do, could I maybe get your S8 springs and dampers if they are still serviceable?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed - I've bottomed mine out 1-2x during a high speed dip in road - not fun - I'd not...

...want to go any lower. Maybe the roads down there in sunny GA are glasslike?

But then there is the angle of approach / departure issue that these are so challenged with to begin with. Least in the areas I travel.

Agreed, I could stand a little stiffer rebound but that's shock valving IMO - but lower I would not want to go.

Also agreed, yer frickin' paint is stunning. Mine really could use a thoro douching certainly. Someday.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 AM

Default I'd take a ride in the HRs before I put them on.

Maybe Paul can chime in he's had HRs on his A8 and the stock in his S8.

I have HRs on mine and especially with the stock 16's they scrape and bottom out if you're not careful. Ride comfort is fine, a little less comfortable with the 17's and summer tires.

Handles great but it comes at a price...
Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I had them on my 97

When they are brand new, they are great. Living in Chicago, with a terrible winter last year for pot holes, my stock S8 suspension barely survives.

You can lower your car as low as you want (at least in the front). If that's what you are looking for, it's a great package. But you'll feel it going over bumps.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Chris- can you provide an outline of the process you used on the paint?

It looks great! I've tried several processes and products and have not had good luck with durability of the finish in combination with the shine.
1. Wash with strong detergent to remove all old products?
2. Clay bar, wash again?

Then what sequence of products/processes do you recommend? Black is a real biatch to get looking that good!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Default I know what you mean (I live in Illinois as well.) I have a feeling that I need to replace

all of my control arms, but I'm going to wait until they fill all of the potholes first. No sense beating the sh*t out of new parts..
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Yea, I can do that, I'll work on it over the weekend.

I might just put together a short video of the process and I'll just do it on my trunk so you can see how to do it. Keep in mind though, my paint wasn't in bad shape to begin with, and I don't know exactly what yours looks like, so you could go through the same process I did and it not look as good.

Quick Reply: H&R's for S8, who's got em?