A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands Free Kit Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hands Free Kit Users

I spent several hours integrating my Motorola T720c phone for Verizon Wireless into my Bose Symphony 2001 A8L.
I followed the Tech articles and used my past experience (Nokia hands free into a 99 A6).
<a href="http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/v60install.html">Paul's Install</a>
<a href="57561.phtml">More advise from Paul</a>
<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html">Tech Articles</a>

I have a problem though, that I can't figure out. Any help or comments appreciated.

As instructed, I hooked the #10 pin to the #11 pin in the DB-25 connector and immediately the stereo says `PHONE' and is muted, the phone is `on' but not in use. I can than use the phone, it works great, but the mute relay never leaves ground so the stereo stays muted. I have the orange mute wire from the hands free kit hooked up to pin 3 of the RJ 45 connector in the arm rest. I also tried wiring directly to pin 1 on connector IV on the back of the radio, and directly to pin 10 on the DB-25 in the trunk with the same result.

I noticed one thing, in the wiring diagram, <a href="http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/V60wire1sm.JPG">Paul's schematic</a> that is different for an 01. My wiring diagram doesn't have pin 10 on the DB-25 going to a J371 relay. Instead it looks like it goes to the Nav unit.

Why would the radio go to mute when I short #10 pin to the #11 pin in the DB-25 connector?

Please help!
My installation is pretty lame if it doesn't integrate with the mute feature and the built in speaker.

Mark
Old 04-05-2004, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Could be two things.....

....I'm not at home so I don't have an 01 schematic.

1. Either your jumpers on your DB-25 are not correct.....I know, you checked it over and over again, but believe me, it's easy to get them wrong....ask Sarge....I told him to check his connector, he said it was good, then a week later he figured out it was his connector. Not to mention I had to rework at least two of them before that I made after I tested them.

Check it tomorrow....when you are fresh.

I can look at the schematic for you then.

2. There is a possibility that it is different for your car. Do you have a Nav system installed?

The 97 was unique in that it has the phone mute relay, no newer car has that....the wire just goes to the back of the radio and provides the mute signal by grounding out the connection.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default these are the basic connections you need....

These are basic connections you need.
PIN on DB25#: -----&gt; LINE:
<i>10 -----&gt; Yellow line from kit's harness <b>&lt;radio mute&gt;</b></i>
16 -----&gt; Red line from kit's harness
<i>5 -----&gt; Blue line from kit's harness <b>&lt;Ignition (+12/16 volt)&gt; </b></i>
3 -----&gt; Black line from kit's harness
19 -----&gt; Speaker + (white line)
25 -----&gt; Speaker - (black line)
15 -----&gt; Mike + (white line)
14 -----&gt; Mike - (black line)
Old 04-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Hands Free Kit Users

Yes, I have the Nav unit.
My wife informed me that the steering wheel controls are inactive.
Also,
I didn't build the custom D25 male jumper. Instead, I cut off the connector and jumped the wires directly, much easier, but... I suppose this could be the cause of my problem, though I can't imagine how.

Some thoughts;

1. There are 3 brown wires going into the DB-25 and I did lose track of their pin #'s. But, two are connected down stream so they are, in effect, the same.... I tried both scenarios, one had no effect and the other mutes the stereo immediately (I hear a relay click when I connect to the wire to pin #10)

2. There are also two red wires, (which I could have interchanged). I'm going to put a meter on them to see if they have the same function. (key on, key off, during ignition)

There must be something here that I'm not seeing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bowster
Yes, I have the Nav unit.
My wife informed me that the steering wheel controls are inactive.
Also,
I didn't build the custom D25 male jumper. Instead, I cut off the connector and jumped the wires directly, much easier, but... I suppose this could be the cause of my problem, though I can't imagine how.

Some thoughts;

1. There are 3 brown wires going into the DB-25 and I did lose track of their pin #'s. But, two are connected down stream so they are, in effect, the same.... I tried both scenarios, one had no effect and the other mutes the stereo immediately (I hear a relay click when I connect to the wire to pin #10)

2. There are also two red wires, (which I could have interchanged). I'm going to put a meter on them to see if they have the same function. (key on, key off, during ignition)

There must be something here that I'm not seeing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
I was stuck on this for some time too until I saw: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/95de7ae497. On my unit the yellow and orange wires were indeed reversed! The manual was wrong. After switching them everything worked!