A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy Now

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy Now

I have just recovered from the ill-fated waterpump replacement that was unnecessary and the plastic tube replacement to the oil cooler that was necessary to cure the coolant leak. Just finished looking at the Tire Rack stats on their site comparing the various tires offered for the 16 in. stock wheels. I had to go with the Bridgestone LSV's. Very happy with the quiet, handling, bump suppression etc. Came from aftermarket Michelin Pilot XGTH4's from the previous owner. Also, I got a printout of the past mechanical problem history on the car...but how is the dealer code where this work was done in the past deciphered? Anyone know? By the way, the transmission now shifts beautifully with the filter/fluid change! Thanks for the headsup on that one. I can't believe anyone would risk the damage of adhearing to the factory suggestion of life-time fill on these transmissions.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here are some; and Me, either!

>>but how is the dealer code where this work was done in the past deciphered?

See if these <a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5614/codes.txt">service repair codes</a> match up with the dealer codes you're seeing.

&gt;&gt;I can't believe anyone would risk the damage of adhearing to the factory suggestion of life-time fill on these transmissions.

Me, either!
Old 02-11-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Here are some; and Me, either!

Jim: Thanks for the numbers and I'll double check the dealer's printout for the past work. I was wondering if there are any codes for the dealer that performed the work. Aren't they assigned a number. I want to determine where the work was done after I determine what work was done. By the way, I owned a Boxster and had a great time, but noticed alot of inside rear tread wear with the Pirelli's I had on that car... so watch the camber on the rears! Earnie's Alloys in Miami have take offs for the Boxster at pretty good prices. Sorry for the off topic note.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Here are some etc. -Great Info!

Hey Jim
This is great info.
I had the stealer give me a print out last month while they screwed up the oil change.
Title of the print out was "Display Service History" and it did take 20 minutes to print out and for the svc writer to decipher the codes.
To your list I can only add:
8011 Climate Control Switch
5556 Trunk Lock
Dealer codes are 6 alphanumeric digits printed on the left side of the printout. Armed with this Rosetta, you could request a print out from the stealer and when they say "you wont be able to read it," you may reply, "no problem, but may I have it anyway?"
And, hey Paul would this be worthwhile to add to Audipages?
May help alot with pre purchase inspections.
Bill m
Old 02-12-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Dealer told me they can't print repair history.

When I asked for a print out of the repair history on my car they told me they couldn't do it. They said I would have to find out where the car was originally purchased and ask that dealer to do the search. Sounded stupid to me but that is what they said.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Dealer told me they can't print repair history.

I got conflicting information when I wanted to get the service history of my purcahse candidate. My local dealer say they could print the history but it would not make much sense since it was all coded. They said the selling dealer would have verbiage on the history to say what they did.

I went to the selling dealer, and they said they could not give me the service history, but they could tell me what was in it. Some sort of privacy thing since I didn't have own the car already. Well, wouldn't you know, the transmission had been changed at 54K. The car now has 59K! That was the only major thing in the history. After I own it, I will get a print out from them.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Local Stealer told me it was against the law.

I knew he was full of **** because I had gotten some from another dealership not too long ago. I think they just don't want to deal with it. Too busy or too lazy. or both. I must admit the local dealer did a remodel, and the insides are very nice. parts dept. very nice.. but I HATE the place with a passion non the less.
Dan
Old 02-14-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Dan vents

Dan, I couldn't agree more. The idea of your driving in your $70 Grand car and their being too busy to assist you in your inquiries is inappropriate. Often the location of an alternate Audi dealer is too far away. More often that not the service department has only a fraction of the expertise shown in this Forum and only an atom of desire to help. Stick with the info on this Forum as much as you can and you'll enjoy your car more. I do.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's how I got 60 pages of my car's history

Any dealer can do a VIN search and find out by dealer number where and when your car was serviced. Go to the dealer, ask if you can view history, look at the posted dealer or dealers numbers who serviced your car. They will be able to look up the dealer number and tell you who they were. Call that dealer and ask them if they would mind pulling the archived hard copies. Maybe even offer to pay. I did this, worked with the dealer over the phone....they Fed-x'd me 60 pages of actual repair bills from the original owner in another state. Total cost ZERO! Pedigree Priceless!

Gary
Old 02-14-2003, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Local Stealer told me it was against the law.

There may be a privacy law for who used to own the car, but the maintenance history should be accessible!!! When I worked for the dealer we gave any Audi owner the history we had available to their car. Warranty info is available from any dealer, just need the VIN number and a few minutes to download and print it. Decyphering the codes may take a bit of effort, but any service writer worth his/her salt will know at least the common codes (maintenances, etc). Any customer pay info you have to get from the servicing dealer. The paperwork can be copied, just need to cover the previous owner's name if there is a privacy issue.
OK, I'm done ranting...
W