A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start, lots of cranking. Possible fuel pump says mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aduggs

Apart from wasting fuel, the leak isn't much of a problem. You do not need to crank the engine to prime the fuel lines. Just turn the key (do not start) wait a few seconds and then turn the engine over. The fuel pump starts when the key is turned on, so that will prime the fuel line (don't put extra wear on your battery and starter by cranking the engine for longer than needed).
Sorry, but cranking the engine (without outside help, like jumping the pump leads) IS indeed the best way to prime the lines with pressure. Thanks to the engine speed sensor ("crank position") the pump is only running (and always running) while the engine is turning...except for the 1st 2 seconds of ignition on...and that's ONLY on the 1st attempt, unless you reset the system by removing the key, locking/unlocking the car, reinserting the key and trying again.
When all is normal, that 1st and only 2 seconds is enough to assure enough system pressure for a quick start...BUT if you are well below normal residual pressure, it ain't always enough for a quick start.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Sorry, but cranking the engine (without outside help, like jumping the pump leads) IS indeed the best way to prime the lines with pressure. Thanks to the engine speed sensor ("crank position") the pump is only running (and always running) while the engine is turning...except for the 1st 2 seconds of ignition on...and that's ONLY on the 1st attempt, unless you reset the system by removing the key, locking/unlocking the car, reinserting the key and trying again.
When all is normal, that 1st and only 2 seconds is enough to assure enough system pressure for a quick start...BUT if you are well below normal residual pressure, it ain't always enough for a quick start.
You would be surprised how much gas the pump can move in 2 seconds. Don't ask me how I found out

When everything is normal, no one waits the 2 seconds - the engine fires right up because there is residual pressure. So not sure what you mean by normally waiting the 2 seconds before cranking.

Anyway, it will take fewer cranks if you wait the 2 seconds even if there is no residual pressure in the lines. Agree, cranking is still required.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=aduggs;24486948
So not sure what you mean by normally waiting the 2 seconds before cranking.
[/QUOTE]

Semantics...Rearranging my words changes the meaning a bit...the above is not what I stated.

The point being: If the residual pressure was down to .5 bar just after the running pressure test, that's a pretty fast leak. So trying to start this car, whether he waited the 2 secs or not, it was also leaking off pressure while priming. The proof? It wouldn't start until multiple cranks = apparent slow build up of pressure.

Years back, before I figured out the problem, I added a fuel pump button to a 77 Rabbit that had a bleed off leak at the check valve near the pump (replaceable). Actually only took a few minutes to put in a momentary button under the dash connected to the fuel pump relay...I had to be somewhere. I used this for a while and you could actually hear the point that pressure was built to the point of letting the car start...free spinning to a quiet hum. Even after being parked just a half hour or so, it took a few seconds to get starting pressure. I know...different car, different fuel injection system, but...just sayin.

Cheers
Old 09-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, in the last 2 days I have only had 1 long crank start. It seems fine this morning. I doubt that the Techron is working after only 6 miles on it, but we shall see.

I am going to replace the plugs and run through this 1/2 tank, put in premium and another bottle of techron and report back.

I did call the mechanic and the front desk guy said they had their top guy on the job and that's why it was $250 of diagnosis so he is sure the leak pointed towards the pump ($1900 repair) rather than dirty injectors ($5 repair) but he would ask the mechanic what process he used and let me know.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Semantics...Rearranging my words changes the meaning a bit...the above is not what I stated.
Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent your comment - just how I understood it. But a question arises: does the pump ALWAYS run 2 seconds with key on? I was under the impression that the pump will run only as long as the pressure is low. So normally the pump would only take a fraction of a second to restore correct pressure because a normal system would have virtually no bleeding.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent your comment - just how I understood it. But a question arises: does the pump ALWAYS run 2 seconds with key on? I was under the impression that the pump will run only as long as the pressure is low. So normally the pump would only take a fraction of a second to restore correct pressure because a normal system would have virtually no bleeding.
No problem..really

If you don't start the car, it will run the same 2 secs (approx) only on the first try. I've played with this before to satisfy my curiosity and help answer a past question. Seems to be on a set timer, to cover any normal start-up (slow or fast key turner)...obviously, with everything working perfectly, you don't need anywhere near a full 2 secs or any time at all(?)...just makes sure the pump is running a hair before the engine speed sensor takes over sending the signal.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clintmeyer
Well, in the last 2 days I have only had 1 long crank start. It seems fine this morning. I doubt that the Techron is working after only 6 miles on it, but we shall see.

I am going to replace the plugs and run through this 1/2 tank, put in premium and another bottle of techron and report back.

I did call the mechanic and the front desk guy said they had their top guy on the job and that's why it was $250 of diagnosis so he is sure the leak pointed towards the pump ($1900 repair) rather than dirty injectors ($5 repair) but he would ask the mechanic what process he used and let me know.

Thanks for the help.
I dont see how dirty injectors are a 5$ repair. Sorry, but the over the counter "injection cleaner" stuff is a complete scam, there hardly any more "solvent" than gasoline, which is a solvent, and is full of cleaning detergents. If you injectors are truly sticking open from debris cooked on, then removal, and sending them to a FI re builder and have them repaired and sonic blasted is the fix, not some 5 dollar bottle of fix all. God 250$ for diagnosis, thats such a ripoff. Just have them put a pump in it, if it doesnt fix it, then dont pay for it. Why in the hell is it 1900$ for a fuel pump again, I just did one in an A8 and used a VDO/Siemens pump and the bill was like 700$.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 09-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Before replacing anything else, have you replaced the coolant temp sensor? When it does finally start, is it smooth and normal, or does it cough and sputter a little?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You do not need to crank the engine to prime the fuel lines. Just turn the key (do not start) wait a few seconds and then turn the engine over. The fuel pump starts when the key is turned on, so that will prime the fuel line (don't put extra wear on your battery and starter by cranking the engine for longer than needed).
The D2 A8 only primes the fuel lines with a 2 second burst on turning on the ignition with a cold start. The only other way to run the pump is during cranking and with the after-start relay - its a safety feature.

My hard start proved to be a torn high pressure fuel line within the pump housing itself.
I replaced the pump as well (World Car Parts is correct source for Siemens VDO pump).
Caused me some frustration until I learned the "trick" of how to position the two halves of the assembly!
The loss of pressure can only be a few things - injector leak, fuel line leak, pump non-return valve (non serviceable item, replace pump) .
The high cost of pump replacement is because Audi only sell the whole assembly for $1000!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default THE ONE good over the counter = TECHRON, HAVE HAD IT WORK FOR MORE THAN JUST ME

Techron has worked on an Audi and a Saab... the only way to tell that you have dirty ionjectors is when it runs rough at low RPM (starting and around town) but is fine at high RPM (highway)

Quick Reply: Hard to start, lots of cranking. Possible fuel pump says mechanic