A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My opinion.

I have owned many cars, and the ones I love the most ( my supras) have been known to have HG issues, which I have fixed on both my supras myself ( both with a metal HG, and ARP head bolts).

Even with that flaw in the stock HG, I would never get rid of them.

The A8 is not known to have the same HG problems over and over again, and out of the amount on the road, how many are bad? I am sure it was a installation error, or a flaw in head gasket, not a major design flaw.

That being said.... lets move onto the money side of this.
Repair: $2800
Trade-in $8700

Is that trade-in on the car with the present issue?

If so, what would the trade be worth with the repair?

What is the book of the car WITHOUT current HG issue figured in?

What did you pay for the car?

Do you owe any money on the car?

I would put this all down on paper and crunch some numbers. Losing money sucks, and just make sure you are making the right choice for your pocket.

IMO, there are no cars out there that can compete with the D2 A8 for near $20,000.

The two major things that come to mind ....
It will not rust
It is quattro

What car would you be interested in moving into?

Just curious, how long have you known about the leak?

Now if I were you, I would just do the work myself during the summer when I am driving my other cars. I would be happy to keep most of that money in my pocket. If for some odd reason I did not do it myself, I still would repair my A8 for 2800. I have owned many cars, and none are perfect. You might find one that does not break ( probably japanese ). But does it feel like a nice car?

Good luck no matter your choice. Too bad you got a bad one.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the opinion

In my opinion, cars are not a wise investment choice, but more commodity these days. I wonder how many cars actually retain its value to the max? Sure not the A8. I have purchased this car for 11k. With existing known problem, trade in is 8700.00. 2300+ lose. As it gets older, will the value of the car go up? Probably not.
I don't disagree this is one of the car that has everything in one package. Quattro, aluminum frame, power, and comfort. I have not yet to praise on the "reliable" part yet with A8.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problem..

Umm, I never said cars appreciate. I never said to invest in them.

I did say to be friendly to your pocket, do some math.

Also:
There are two types of people. People to enjoy cars, and people who use them as transport only.

Keep it simple and buy a civic or a tercel. Cars with many complex features still have failing parts.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Well once again,,

There are some people enjoy the car as a transportation needs. Once the joyfulness of driving the car as daily driver due to the significant issues or problems, cannot enjoy anymore and time to move on.
Lots of owners in this forum are enthusiasts of A8 and I do envy that. I guess I am not a person to love A8 for rest of my life but to enjoy other breeds of automobile.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: ....to enjoy other breeds of automobile.

I hate many cars, and love a bunch. I love my girls evo8, my girls V8 Quattro, my friends camry V6 SE, my friends F150 with a supercharged lightning engine in it, my fiends 944 turbo. My supras, and A8 just happen to be on that list. I have owned a bunch, and you will live and learn. I am not happy with my A8 just because I own one, I bought the car I wanted, and made sure it was up to par. I might not be happy with it someday, at least since I just love my cars.... there will never have to be any messy divorces

Honestly, you bought the car with said problem, and your path to the end of enjoyment was in the forseeable future. Move on as you will, and I wish you luck on your next purchase! Before you pick buy it just make sure the head gaskets good, the tranny is not prone to problems, the headrests work, .....
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BTW

I just wanted to add I was/am glad to help you out with the armrest, Adrian. I do honestly wish you luck, I just write these posts ( mostly everyone I write ) with-out coloring my meanings. I simply write exactly what I mean. I wish I could teach women this skill haha

Cheers!

Keep in touch.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: BTW

Dan,
No hard feelings at all. This is why this forum is so dynamic. Honest opinions and expression.
I do appreciate you helping out on my armrest. That is the only thing that makes me happy when I drive my car!!;-)
Cheers. I will keep in touch!!