A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! A8 auto transmission expert advice needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! A8 auto transmission expert advice needed!!!

Hi folks,

Im new to the A8 but madly in love with it already...
I have one very serious question which i am desperate for advice on.

I have a 1994 A8 4.2 Quattro with the tiptronic trans, with 140,000miles on it...

I have noticed that when i accellerate hard and then relax back to a sensible speed there is a large 'thump' from the transmission which usually happens around 50 mph when it shifts into top gear.
This is only ever felt under light driving conditions and doesnt happen when driving the car hard.

Also when coming to rest, at traffic lights for instance, there is a sudden braking effect from the transmission which is very noticeable and sometimes acompanied by a 'thump' similar to the one mentioned above.

The box is as smooth as silk otherwise and all fuctions are good, with no warning codes or lights up.

I have noticed that when the car is at ilde speed on a slight incline, in drive and reverse, the car wont hold and gently slips backwards.
I dont have much experience of auto transmission but i do know that they are supposed to hold on slopes at idle in drive or reverse.

I have had the fluid and screen filter changed at my local Audi dealer thinking this would solve the problem, but if anything, all of the above symptoms are more noticeable since the work was carried out.

Is it possibly the torque converter or something that can be cured with a software check??

Any advice from you time-served audi folks would be greatly received.

I previously owned an A6 which was heaven to drive and looked pristine but the auto trans failed and it broke my heart to send her to the breakers yard as it wasnt worth repairing...

Im very worried and would like to catch this before it becomes a disaster...

Cheers,
Antony
Old 06-06-2007, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 speed or the older 4 speed.

Assume you're UK.

Most of us have a different trans, if you have the trans I think you have.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 AM

Default WOW! a 94 4.2 engine..oldest i have heard!

Can you post a few pics please? I really want to see how different the car was 13 years ago...which is MIGHTY long time.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 AM

Default This is the subject of about half of our posts on this site...

Transmissions are the number one weakness of the D2 A8 by far.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: WOW! a 94 4.2 engine..oldest i have heard!

Hi,
Yeah, ill stick some pictures up when i get a mo,
She is old but she basically fell into my hands at a bargain price of 2000 GBP ($4000).... !

I may let myself down here but its the most powerful and scary car ive ever driven.

Without a breath of effort she zips to 140mph and would go and go an go... but i am just waaay too scared by that point, and they dont like bends in the road at tha speed!

I absolutely love it but just fret a little regarding the gearbox... it would definately signal death for the car as i am not prepared to throw the cars value into a re-con or new box.

I figure if theres any danger of impending doom, i will get rid now while im still ahead.

If its just a torque converter prob then its probably worth monkeying with.

I can do that myself without dealer rates!!

Im not letting go just yet!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: 5 speed or the older 4 speed.

Four speed i think.... theres 3 fixed gears on the shift plate.?? if thats anything to go by...

Shes still very playful though... its got the 40v 4.2 and it really is loaded with torque...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default wait .... its got the 4 speed (better than our 5) and the 40valve 4.2??? Motor swap?

Thought that the pre-prefacelifts (lol) got the 32 valve like the US 97-99s. Strange.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unusual for the 4 spd to do this-sounds like trouble-I too have a 4speed MY96

with the ABZ 4.2 engine-great combination and personally the five speed seems too busy for my taste especially when under heavy load.
Good luck and please post the resulting successful repair.
There is a couple of cars out here I think with CML trans that are being parted from accident damage although shipping may kill the price.
Shame I cant put one in my suitcase as I fly to europe in September [lol]
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

In North America, ours are limited to 130MPH. :-(
Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: In North America, ours are limited to 130MPH. :-(

I have a 95 4.2 A8Q, have you carried out the 'infamous' gearbox oil and filter swap yet?

Mine does exactly the same as the symptons you describe, and changing these items in the autobox is paramount as soon as you can, mine's being done at the weekend.

Still effortlessly does 0-60 in 6 secs and on to 155mph, although it will be VAG-COM'd soon to remove the speed restriction, then its good for around 170!

Quick Reply: Help!! A8 auto transmission expert advice needed!!!