A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Another A8 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default forgot the most important part.... I sent out samples of the old and new fluid to Blackstone Labs...

for analysis and they told me that composition of the "crtical" chemicals was close/close enough. Also off the record, they said that the new fluid should not present a problem which it hasn't. Another thing that they suggested (which I never did) was take the new fluid and old fluid, shake them up in a container and let them sit for a few days. If they don't separate, this is a good indication that they're compatible with each other.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: THANKS!!!!!

Wow! Thank you all very much for your imput. Having posted less than 24hrs ago I am amazed at the response. This speaks volumes to the fact that there are some real transmission problems out there and Audi chooses to stick their head in the sand and ignore them. I suspect us 4x4 fanatics will soon be driving the new 4 wheel dive Lexus'. At least they address their problems if they have any! On my return trip to the Audi dealership they said they rechecked the level of the fluid which was ok and it was not burnt. I appreciate the many suggestions. I have been doing much of my own research and going to start by checking or replacing the TPS. I still have similar problems in the tiptronic mode. The problem is most apparent when you barely have the pedal depressed, which just happens to be the pedal positon at 40mph. I will also look into reprogramming into the sport mode. It really bothers me that Audi did not offer me any solutions or further information as gathered from you all. Can I charge them $90.00 per hour for researching the info they couldn't give me????
Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Could be throttle position sensor or mass air flow sensor

I've been really thinking of trying a known good MAF in my car to see if it stops the hunting.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You could be okay

I used the correct Audi fluid when I changed mine recently, but I had purchased 9 quarts of the Pennzoil before I ordered the right stuff.

I just looked at the PDF data sheet on the Pennzoil website and they say it is good for all Audi models except the 2003 and on Audi TT. This product is called Multi-Vehicle ATF and is a blend of synthetic and mineral oil stock. The bottles say that it is good for ZF transmissions but the website does not specifically say that in the product description.

I hate to be a test bed for others but I might just try this when I go and change the oil and filter next time.

Wayne
1997 A8 w/original transmission as far as I know @ 124K miles
Old 03-18-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Could be throttle position sensor or mass air flow sensor

This situation sounds much like mine. I also have a 99 A8 and took Paul's advice to change the fluid 9 months ago , which solved the problem, I thought. Now the vehicle continues to search for a gear when in 5th, and is most noticeable around 40-45 MPH. I was just told ...again...that it needs a new tranny, at 84K miles. Have not tried the TPS.
Badgerbolt, any update on yours?