A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Transmission Whining Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Transmission Whining Problems

Here is the problem.

Have the whining transmission as a result of cavitation in the pump. Thank you for describing the problem, it is precisely what is happening in my car.

Went to the local garage where they changed the fluid and filter. However, did not stop the whining. Then went to Audi dealer who told me that there was nothing wrong, the transmission was a sealed unit and it was not the fluid. BTW, that is University Audi in Seattle, Washington.

I explained the problem to the shop foreman, Bjorn, who took a drive with me. I explained what I had read on this forum, and he said that made alot of sense and it would explain the sound and thump. I then told him I had already changed the oil through another garage. He suggested perhaps doing a power flush on the vehicle so as to completely remove any problems. However, Audi did not have a power flush machine. Apparently, Jiffy Lube is the only company in the area to have this machine and I don't want to intermingle Type F fluid with the special Audi transmission fluid.

So, here is my situation. I have changed the oil once, detected the slightest of improvements (it could just be me being hopeful). Should I have the garage do another change and then another change until all the fluid has been hopefully exchanged? Or does someone have another course of action?

I don't want to have to become the first A8 stick conversion as a result of my transmission being ruined.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Is it still whinning?

If so, how long was it whinning prior to the oil being changed? Days or months?

To complete the change of the oil, all you really need to do is one more drain and then refill. Probably don't need to do a power flush. The drain and fill combined with your first change out should get about 80% of the fluid changed.

It could be that damage occured prior to changing the oil and filter. If that is the case, it could require component repair. The place in Michigian could possibly help you out, but your car would be out of commission for a while. See URL below.

What year is your car? How many miles?

And no, it is not your imagination, your tranny is shifting slightly smoother, everyone who does it including me has had the same results.

pw<ul><li><a href="http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/parts.html">ZF Factory Transmission Rebuilders</a></li></ul>
Old 01-16-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Is it still whinning?

Yes, it is still whining. However, I do have to say that when I drove it this afternoon, the whine had disappeared and I could actually hear the engine. It developed again after about a mile. But, this is still an improvement.

The car is a 98 with 68,000 miles on it. I just had the timing belt and water pump done. I had assumed, incorrectly, that it was a water pump bearing as I had a leak from the pump and the whine accompanied the engine revolution. My big mistake. When I got the car back from the garage and it still had the whine, I came to the discussion forum.

I'm glad you guys are here!

I am sorry to say, but the whine has been present for about two+ months.

It's my understanding that some oil was wanted for analysis. I will ask my mechanic to save some.

Thank you very much for the encouragement, I appreciate it.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Is it still whinning?

Change that filter???!!!!