A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High End Luxury Sedan Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Audi should have revised the A8 (exterior/interior) a bit more for MY 2000

I realize that the subtle changes to the front (new grille), additional chrome trim on both bumpers, and new door handles were all worthwhile updates. Also the interior looks a lot better with the updated center console and color coordinated door trim. However, I don't think the changes went far enough. The interior is made of top of the line materials, but the dash and door lines are too rectangular (especially compared to the current S-Class). When you sit in an A8, you can tell that the interior design is a few years old.

However, the main problem with the A8/S8 is that it doesn't look like a high end luxury car. Most people will think the car costs significantly less than it does because of its understated exterior. Audi could spice things up for the last year of production with some subtle lower body cladding (a la the S-Class sport package body kit). The 18" hollow spoke wheel option is a step in the right direction.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's the whole point isn't it?

To compare the A8 to the current S-class is not fair. The current A8 was introduced back in 1994 and the new S-class came out in 1999. There is really no point of doing a big interior make over in the current A8 since the new one IS coming around the corner. Having both the S and the A8, I find the interior of the A8 more tasteful and the material better than those found in the S.

I think the main reason we got the A8 is becasue it is understated, which is great if you drive into some unknown neighborhood. Another reason is Quattro. We've had some interesting experience driving the S in a not so nice neighborhood at night which I think would not happen if we were in the A8.

If you want to spice things up a bit, get the S8. If you want to drive a car that looks like a high end luxury car, get the S, forget the current A8.

Just my .02
Old 12-16-2001, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Yes, as long as Audi is happy with selling only 2000 unit a year in the U.S.

The fact is that most luxury car buyers (obviously you don't fall into this category) will only spend $70K on a car if that car has the looks, marque or cachet that justifies that kind of expenditure. The A8 is too understated (or uninteresting) looking for most people. That's why it only sells in a small fraction of numbers as its competitors (7-Series, S-Class, Jaguar XJ8, LS430 or even the new Q45). I know there are other reasons as well (Audi is relatively new to the ultra luxury class, AoA spends virtually zero advertising dollars on the A8, etc.), but the bottom line is that to the untrained eye, the A8 looks like it costs $10-15K less than the sticker price would suggest. Perhaps this is why the depreciation is so steep for the first couple of years. Very few people even know of its existence.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:46 PM
E55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Yes, as long as Audi is happy with selling only 2000 unit a year in the U.S.

Yes, in fact, that's one reason I bought my A8 in 1999. I knew nothing about them, next to nothing about Audi. After hearing and reading so much about the A4's and A6's I stopped by to look at them (not to buy, just to see what the heck all the Consumer Reports hype was about). A very sharp salesman turned me on to the A8 for a test drive. I bought it the next month. It's still been my favorite car overall.

I liked the fact that the look was understated. I'm most definitely not into the brand competition game.
But what I like and enjoy most about luxury sedans is a combination of power, deft handling capabilities, and refined/luxurious interior.
When the A8 hit its stride sveral years ago it was right at the top end of the market in these categories IMO (retrospectively).
But the interior is now quite outdated, power has fallen behind the curve, and the exterior, while it has aged well overall, needs freshening up.

Hopefully Audi's engineers and designers will still be on top of their games.