A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the haze off the CHROME TRIM around the windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the haze off the CHROME TRIM around the windows?

I've heard before if you use STP Fuel Cleaner on a rag and rub the chrome around the windows, the haze comes off. I've tried this along with every other chrome polish and nothing works. What will make this hazy fog come off the chrome around the windows???
Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Elder Member

Default The aluminum trim is clear-coated.

You can only re-polish the aluminum if you first strip off the clear-coat, but I don't think anyone's had the nerve to try this (you wouldn't want to accidently strip the paint off the car).
Old 03-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Default 2nd that...be careful. The only reason we mess around w/ chrome trim on...

the C5 forum is to strip it down and paint it (to go for the "black optics" RS look.) Trim is definetly not something you want to mess up....prolly a PITA to remove, plus you'll have to pay for a new set from the dealer. Of course, it may be easier to remove the trim on your platform, but I wouldn't know...Like I said, just be careful.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: 2nd that...be careful. The only reason we mess around w/ chrome trim on...

Have you tried "Wenol"? It is a product specifically for CHORME, available at detailing store & Mercedez Benz dealerships. I read this from AudiForum.

Original post by a detailer:
http://www.audiforums.com/m_42902/tm.htm

I'm sure many of us have the same "haze-look" window frame like you. In fact, I'm planning to track one down and try it myself soon. Hopefully, I can take some before and after pictures! Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Default WENOL is about $12 from eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wenol-BLUE-Metal-Polish-100ml-Tube_W0QQitemZ170093258490QQcategoryZ20693QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It isn't chrome. It's aluminum.

My intent is to wet-sand the clear coat off, then clean it up, then Klasse it.

Haven't done it yet.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Maybe on your cars it's aluminum, but on ours it has to be chrome

Those of us who redo the trim must peel/chip off the chrome in order to repaint it (or the paint will not stick, unless you use a special type) But if you do paint over the chrome, you will have it shine through once you start to get rock chips, etc. A very crappy look indeed...Anyways, this is getting off-topic.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Elder Member

Default Here's their caveat with clear-coated parts.

"<i>In order to polish these surfaces you must first remove the coating. Many professional polish shops use 'aircraft stripper' for this job. Use these products with caution and never use them on or near your painted surfaces. IMMEDIATE damage WILL occur! For more information on strippers contact your local automotive paint supply outlets. Be sure to follow safety precautions and manufacturers' recommendations.</i>"

I use Flitz to polish aluminum, but it doesn't work on clear-coated aluminum either.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wenol.com/id21.htm">Wenol</a></li></ul>
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From Audi themselves

Technical solution
Problem description
Mat aluminium trim strip discoloured, milky

Cause
The silver-coloured trim strips of the Audi models consist of pure aluminium (AL 99.9).

The use of aluminium on the vehicle is in line with the Audi philosophy and helps to protect the environment, since during the production of conventional chrome trim strips an exceptionally high number of pollutants and toxins are released.

Unlike chromed trim strips the disposal of trim strips of pure aluminium is relatively easy.

During their production aluminium strips are highly polished. Then an protective coat is applied by anodal oxidisation.

This anti-corrosion coat is between 8 - 10 micrometer thick and transparent.

It is relatively brittle similar to a ceramic coat. This means, fine hairline cracks are created on the strip if it is bent, thus damaging the protective coat.

No polish or alkalic/acid cleaning agents must be used, as they can damage the aluminium coat. Please observe the processing instructions of the cleaning agents you use (for instance industrial dust remover).

In car washes alkalic intensive cleaners are used.

As these cleaners are highly concentrated, they must be sufficiently thinned down with water. Make sure that remnants of the cleaner on the vehicle are completely rinsed off. This is especially important on hot summer days, as the water dries relatively quickly and remnants of the cleaner cling to the vehicle surface, which can cause damage.

If the protective coat is damaged, this leads to white corrosion on the aluminium (the trip steams up, becomes mat or milky, see attachment).

* Please observe the information in the owner's manual about the care of aluminium strips.

Production solution
No change.

Service solution
Replace damaged trim strips. Explain the background to the customer.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/135773.phtml">...</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: How do I get the haze off the CHROME TRIM around the windows?