A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does someone justify a 30k dollar car loan for a car that is 4-5 yrs old?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does someone justify a 30k dollar car loan for a car that is 4-5 yrs old?

I am running into a potential road block. Car is an 03 S8 with the right mileage problem is I need to take out a loan to get into the car. (not a big deal as I have a loan now on my current car, and I can 'afford' the loan) but I can not afford a tranny failure of 3k to come up in the next few months. After that I will be fine with repairs ect. Is there anyone in the area (boston) who is an S8 guru (somewhat like Boston Driver on my current A6 forum) who would like to take a look at the car with me? The brakes are currently shot and they say 'we are going to put new brakes on, and fix the problem' so I am not worries there, but I am worried about potential VagCom stuff not being apparent (since I can't scan the car and even if I can, I won't know what to look for besides thrown codes)

The service history looks pretty complete, with receipts for oil's, filters, ect. and has 52k miles. What would you do?? I am also wieghing the car against the current 04-05 D3 A8 (since I can get one for approximately the same price/payment)

IB
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Couple things -

Trans problems seem (knock woody thus far) related to pre-face-lift A8's.

Find out if car is CPO (selling stealer may have no idea, BTST). If not DEFINITELY purchase an aftermarket warranty, there is currently a GP trying to get off the ground through Bruce Mendel here with Great Lakes Warranty Company (GLWC). Money well spent, great ROI! Heh heh.

Then

Be aware of the multitude of Audiisms these are prone to exhibiting:

Control arm bushings, tie rod ends, leaks leaks leaks oh my (oil cooler's coolant, trans output, front diff output), EVAP issues, fuel leaks (atop tank), PCV leak, MAF failure, service history (tstat / WP failures were common < 60k), headrest motor glitches, instrument cluster immobilizer failure, etc. etc. etc. Def. dump codes and see.

And lions and tigers and bears - OH MY!

Being an '03 that one likely would exhibit only 'some' of those things... the rest would be inevitabilities seen later down the road nearing the 100k mark. Do watch for damage under both front / rear overhangs and bumper edges as the ginormous overhangs often get hung up on curbs and reak havoc under there.

I'd head 75 miles up the Pike from CT here but no time these days. Do have Audiot friend from Maine that works in Beantown that knows my car well enough that would likely go fingerbang it for you if you would like to check in with him.

If this one's a pass or you want better pricing shoot me an email. Seems too many of these suffer from prior owner neglect. I've seen ~ a dozen of 'em and driven about 1/2 that, they run the gamut from garage queen to street rat - unfort. most fall into the latter category and those are the "deals" you're seeing online.

HTH, or something and stuff and things - I think.

Good luck. F'n _FANTABULOUS_ f'n car - I'm tickled giddypink in the 9 mos. / 18k in mine coming out of a 6spd'd UrS6...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Sounds like you answered your own question in the subject line.

D2 S8s are bargains now, but they still have the maintenance costs that go with $80k cars. Even if the tranny is fine, it'll need a tb/ h<sub>2</sub>0 pump/ tstat service soon that'll set you back $1500-2000, unless you can do it yourself. Nothing on these cars is cheap.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the response - (long)

I am familiar with the Audi 'truth in engineering' and experience. I have currently spent about 2000$ on parts and labor outside of normal maintenance items on my 2002 A6 in the two years I have owned the car. I am also very familiar with the fact that they are damn safe cars in many conditions and that is why I buy them. I have driven so many terrible conditions and the 02' A6 and a 94' 100CS it is unimaginable how I would have done it without the four rings.

As for the S8, I guess I am having trouble falling in love with the car. I instantly (and had wanted the 6spd A6 for about 5 years before I bought it) and as soon as I took the first drive I couldn't get enough. The test drives of the S8 have been exciting, but nothing like the manual experience. Problem is, I have a repetitive leg injury from clutching in 2 hrs of stop, stop traffic for about the last 4 months. I NEED a auto, and just trying to find the best of the worst .

Ok auto bashing aside, I suppose I could goto PT and try to fix my leg but that isn't going to happen. What is going to happen is I am going to get a new car A8 or S8 and not sure if I should go the D3 route or the S8 route. The s8 feels more in touch with the A6 experience a real 'car', but the A8 D3 is that completely luxury v8 Buick experience. I can't stand the A8 roll, but love the gadgets and instruments ect..

S8 has so many pluses (one being the badge) and the other is knowing you have the most standard HP of any Audi with 8 cylinders.

Just so many choices, and wondering if spending 30k on a new-er car is worth the trouble, even if it is one of the iconic Audi's (at least in the minds of Audi enthusiasts)s)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well all I can say then is Use The Force, Luke.

And I'm not even sure what that means, so don't ask me.

Like I said, I came out of a SPEC clutch'd 6spd'd UrS6 - and I don't miss driving stick. 2x ACL surgery to lefty knee, aside.

If you weren't smitten with the //S8 in your initial drives, then I'd say pass. The ahem "ownership experience" won't be worth it for you then.

I hear the new Buick Roadmaster is coming out though - give it a go? 8-)
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Very similar situation for me...

The S8 was my first auto tranny car, and I was also nervous. However, the steering wheel tip is a great compromise, especially if you have issues w/ your left leg.

As for me, I've had a bad left hip for awhile and just got it replaced last month for $56k. It kinda puts the $30k investment in my 2nd S8 into perspective.

I feel more comfortable and confident in my S8 than any car I've ever driven (including my 911 C4, but in fairness I haven't driven it very much since my hip replacement surgery).

If you drive it and don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Make sure you buyt a CPO

I bought an 03 S8 and I have had several issues since August. I have been back to the dealer over 10 times for VAG related stuff. No tranny problem though.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Or an aftermarket warranty (paging Bruce M)
Old 06-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a warranty
Old 06-25-2007, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You sure ski fast for a guy with a game hip......... :-) Hope the recovery is going well!!

Quick Reply: How does someone justify a 30k dollar car loan for a car that is 4-5 yrs old?