A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard a hit can an A8 take without bending any frame...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 06:59 PM
bA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard a hit can an A8 take without bending any frame...

I was on my way to the beach this weekend in stop and go traffic. When all of the sudden I get slammed into from behind. I go flying into the car in front and now I have two pushed in bumpers. The ****!!!### car which hit me from behind was a pontiac grand am. The car that I went flying into was a ford explorer. The bumper has no dents I think but it is pushed in about .5 to 1.0 inches. Is this serious? Is the frame damaged? I have always tried to baby this car and now I get hit. I have always worried about the aluminum. Should I worry? I am going to bring it in next week. thanks for all responses. BA8
Old 08-19-2001, 10:33 AM

Default Re: How hard a hit can an A8 take without bending any frame...

You need to have it looked at. There is a deformable "cell" behind each bumper (or several, depending upon the car) and once it gets crunched it must be replaced.

As for the frame, I think if it were bent you would know it. The frame of the A-8 is not fragile...and it's made of the same stuff from which they make airliners...and they have 30 year life cycles.

Regards
Old 08-19-2001, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have the bumper cover, then the plastic eggcrate pedestrian guard, then

an big aluminium beam mounted on shocks which are in turn mounted to a box/tube that progressivly gets thicker as you approach the passenger cell.

From another online source:
"The structure of the A8 has been designed to be stronger than a standard steel car. Points that can be damaged have been designed to give in an accident. When repairing the vehicle, the damaged portion of the structure is removed and replaced with a good piece.

The joint where the front bumper mounts to the frame is one such area. The substantial frame rail that runs inside the engine compartment ends a couple of feet before reaching the bumper. The bumper is held by an impact absorber to protect against very minor impacts. An additional deformation element--the front side member--is fitted between the frame rail and the impact absorber to cushion damage to the frame rail. To repair the front piece, six bolts, connected to the frame, are removed from each side members, and the deformed piece is removed and replaced with a good one."
Old 08-19-2001, 03:28 PM
bA8
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you so very much. Now who should I bring it to?

I like the guys at Audi of Arlington. Are there any recommendations in the DC area? TIA again b
Old 08-21-2001, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: How hard a hit can an A8 take without bending any frame...

If the worst problem you have is some damage to the bumper, count yourself lucky!!!! see my post above to the damage I just had happen to my left side quarter panel.....if my frame is still straight (as it looks to be) then I doubt yours is hurt at all......the bumpers on the A8, unless I am mistaken, are all plastic, and the repair houldn't even be that bad, the only problem is anything that comes off the car has to be replaced, not repaired, so keep your fingers crossed that none of the little plastic frame pieces, and none of the screws are on backorder, cause then you'll be waiting until Audi of America can get the parts to your dealer/body shop!!!!
Old 08-21-2001, 02:20 PM

Default Re: You have the bumper cover, then the plastic eggcrate pedestrian guard, then

First thing you do is call the 1-888 AoA hotline for A8/S8 owners. Open a case file for your car. They will arrange for your car to go to a dealer (you will have to actually take it) and they will arrange for a free "similar" rental car for you to drive.

If the frame or substructures are disturbed expect to be in the loaner car for 6 to 8 weeks as your car is shipped to one of a few certified repair shops. If cosmetic, the repairs won't take but a couple of weeks. The dealer makes the determination of whether its cosmetic or not, but you can have AoA intervene at every step if you are not satisfied.

Please don't ask me how I know all this. The memories are still painful....

Anyway the number for the hotline is 1-888-891-2828.

Good luck.
Savvas
Old 08-22-2001, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: You have the bumper cover, then the plastic eggcrate pedestrian guard, then

yes and no........

AOA will only be of any help to you if the car is still in warranty, otherwise they don't even want to speak to you about the car, other than telling you to get it to the dealer, and let them deal with it......also, even if the damage is purely cosmetic, AoA is VERY particular with the repair of the A8/S8 and anything that comes off the car no longer is a usable part, it needs to be replaced by new, so if any of the little bolts or screws or nuts go on backorder for the car, get ready for a delay or two
Old 08-22-2001, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Thank you so very much. Now who should I bring it to?

Call your local Audi dealership, and make sure it goes to one of the few shops that are authorized to do body work to the A8.....just in case there is any aluminum work to be done, better safe than sorry.....it'll take longer to have it done, but it's better to have it done right