A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to secure employment with VW and/or Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default How to secure employment with VW and/or Audi?

Hello Everyone. I am considering a different career path, and have been pestering VW and Audi for weeks about potential employment. Several times I feel I have met the desired qualifications for certain positions, and have had an occasional phone conversation with an HR person. But so far no luck. Can anyone share any other helpful hints or give me some insight, that may improve my chances? I have lots of experience in the automotive sector. I have been Product Engineering Manager, Sales, Quality Manager, and currently work in Manufacturing Engineering. I own an Audi and two Beetles. I have some VW / Audi mechanical knowledge and do all my own services and repairs. If anyone would like to share information feel free to email me privately. Thank You...Sincerely; Jeff
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are you looking for a job in the actual R&D or Product Development?

Is there a specific job you in mind? VW/Audi USA I think only has sales, marketing, advertising etc from a corporate level down to retail. VAG Germany has the full gambit of R&D, Sourcing, etc. etc. from Ingolstadt to all locations of manufacturing. I could maybe get a hold of a corporate HR number other than whats on the website.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Are you looking for a job in the actual R&D or Product Development?

I'm looking to stay in the U.S. Relocation to somewhere warmer than Michigan would be welcome. Your right that it's mostly sales oriented stuff in the u.s. There is also some parts sourcing and purchasing functions, and service related stuff. I'm keeping my options open as much as possible.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd agree -- most of the US fucntions are marketing & sales related. Any interest...

..in specialty after-market (tuner) vendors such as APR, GIAC, or other? Or, the major racing outfits in the US? There might be a better fit there.

The other option is Big Three in Detroit, but it doesn't qualify your outside-temperature condition!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Johnson Controls is huge. Many many locations as well as Delphi. Travel to Asian countries gives

you the warmer climate ; - )
Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Johnson Controls is huge. Many many locations as well as Delphi. Travel to Asian countries giv

I've done my share of traveling, I currently work for a Japanese OEM auto parts producer and have made numerous trips to Japan to learn new processes and technology, and then I get to be the launch coordinator for the same line here in the U.S. Some travel is okay. I have interviewed for an Audi retail sales position, Audi Forward Global Sourcing, and VW dealer technical support. I have lots of qualifications and experience, but I feel that they looking for "something" extra. Obviously VAG do have stringent standards and requirements for employment. I'm just hoping to find out a secret method for getting my foot in the door. I already bombard them with applications, both electronically and also by snail mail. I change my resume constantly and continue to polish it up. I guess I'll just have to keep my nose to the grindstone.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is not an easy quest.

Churchill's never, never give up speech comes to mind. Read it, if you haven't heard.
If you REALLY want it. . move to Auburn Hills and don't give up. ever
(Fear not though because IIRC, they are moving to Chgo. soon seeking to be with and presumably hire cool hip yupster Chicagoan's that resemble their target demographic.) There's a hint.
And yes indeed sales knowledge/skills can never hurt, so here's my one sentence sales training training: "If I could sell you this today for $xxx, would you buy it now?"
Marketing is for folk's that don't want to get their hands dirty. More zen, psychic.. predicting what people want before they want it.
Learn the four "P's."
Don't pester. They need you. Tell 'em why!
and good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: This is not an easy quest.

Ahhhh....I see.....thank you very much for you valuable input. I will start working in that direction. Yes, I do understand what you are saying. Thanks Again!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why so focused on VAG? I love their products, but I wouldn't change my life for a job with them.

I would take it if it aligned with the stars and it beat out other companies. For work environment, benefits, the type of work, and compensation, there are a lot of companies out there that are excellent that are not neccessarily VAG nor Auto related. Although I can definitely see your point as a "car guy". A lot of my friends are car guys and design for the Detroit 3, BMW, and other firms that are car related. But a lot of them would give it up if a better opportunity came a long even if it was non car related. I'm probably not qualified to give you career advice, but definitely you gotta love what you do or make enough $$$ to justify it and enjoy your life outside of work more.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Why so focused on VAG? ......well......why not.....?

I feel that if I'm going to do something every day...then I may as well enjoy what I'm doing. After all, we spend 25% of our LIVES working to earn money to live on, spend, and waste at times. I don't seem to have the backbone to start my own business, so I guess the next best thing is to work at something you enjoy? I've been an Audi/VW fanatic for a while now and I've been bitten by the "bug" (pun intended). So I would like to take a shot at working for them in some fashion. If you love what you do, you will excel at it. It would be a win-win situation for the employer and the employee. Just my 2 cents.