A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hows the S8 as a used car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hows the S8 as a used car

Whats up guys

recently i totaled my car .. 2008 accord 6MT coupe.. fully N/A even the first person in the USA to have Port and Polished the engine bay.. anyway.. recently i totaled it .. i was in a hurry to work and my tires Nitto Nt05 slipped in the rain losing traction and i totaled it hitting a tree.. im fine though

anyways

Looking for a S8 Audi.. i kno beginner to forums hooking up and modding cars but the amount of information out there is ridiculous

so im looking for a S8 i already know my first few mods once it passes my mechanic approval for its not a beat to **** S8

Bilstein B8 shocks with eibach.. i dont want KW and ive cooled away from aggressive driving ...

but to find a S8 is hard man you really gotta search everywhere and in detail to find just a handful..

how are these cars reliability wise? are there any automotive part stores that focus on the S8 performance mods ?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default You won't have that problem in the rain again...

For under $10k the S8 is a bargain IMO.

Typically more $$$ in maintenence than Japenese but belonging to this forum and others and some knowledge you'll be fine.

I just listed mine for sale if interested. Email for details.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your wreck...sounds like you need AWD

S8 already comes with a fantastic sport suspension...stock is comparable to any Bilstein sport shock...and springs are just as good. Are you planning to go lower? If so, research control arm issues as you'll already be near the limit with stock arms. However there are companies that make arms (034 Motorsports for one) compatible with D2 lowered suspensions. I toyed with the idea of lowering, but after I put on my new 20" S8 wheels, I decided the car looks perfect at stock height. That and I like my oil and trans pans to stay away from the road surface.

Reliabilty...hmm, that's a tough one to answer. I've had mine for 15k miles (72k at the moment) and it's had a few (common) issues. Leaky valve cover gaskets (fairly easy fix), leaky oil cooler transfer pipe (uneasy fix), leaky lower oil pan (simple fix), brake pad warning light malfunction (sometimes easy fix). Most of these issues were just annoyances, and the car always drove perfectly fine.

Transmissions are notoriously the weak point of the D2...change the filter and fluid every 30-40k and this should extend the life, otherwise plan on 3-4k for a rebuild at some point sooner than later.

Brakes are fantastic, and replacement parts are abundant and well priced.

Interior is nicer than most new cars today...everything has a solid quality feel; everything is power adjusted, the leather is supple, windows are double paned, and on and on and on. Some quirks include inoperable lumbar and headrest adjustment (easy cable fixes) and a lacking audio system (many options to upgrade) by today's standards.

If mine was ever wrecked I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i actually thought the transmissions were tanks.. i guess since i assumed the engine is a tank that the transmission would be too..

i have a second car.. 2000 eddie bauer explorer so for the time being with winter and colder weather arriving im not rushing to find a S8 ... ( well to find a S8) is the problem if i find one with low enough miles... under 80 thousand i might jump on it faster but not many pepole are in the market for these cars so when they go for sale they stay for sale for a while

this forum doesnt look like its a active forum.. atleast the D2 section... i gotta look around ..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were replied to twice within 1/2 hour and it's not an active forum? We'll all stand by more closely to meet your needs next time.

You'll find this is a very active forum with a huge knowledge base.

Then engine is a tank, if properly maintained. Transmission issues are abundant...read the last few pages of posts here, and then make your comments. To say "you thought this and that" doesn't mean anything if you haven't read up, or at least tried to find the answer. Don't forget, you asked the question about reliability.

I would agree with your idea of not rushing. There are good S8's out there to be found. I looked pretty much every day for 6 months until I found the one I wanted with low miles.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
i actually thought the transmissions were tanks.. i guess since i assumed the engine is a tank that the transmission would be too..

i have a second car.. 2000 eddie bauer explorer so for the time being with winter and colder weather arriving im not rushing to find a S8 ... ( well to find a S8) is the problem if i find one with low enough miles... under 80 thousand i might jump on it faster but not many pepole are in the market for these cars so when they go for sale they stay for sale for a while

this forum doesnt look like its a active forum.. atleast the D2 section... i gotta look around ..
No one buys a D2 (A8 or S8) because of where it ranks in a dependability or total cost of maintenance list. They buy them because of the way they feel and drive...stock.

They are not in the same universe as ANY Ford or Honda. If you have driven a D2 and don't immediately understand that they bought for what they are (a totally unique, precision luxury driving machine), then it's not the car for you.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by S8ilver
You were replied to twice within 1/2 hour and it's not an active forum? We'll all stand by more closely to meet your needs next time.

You'll find this is a very active forum with a huge knowledge base.

Then engine is a tank, if properly maintained. Transmission issues are abundant...read the last few pages of posts here, and then make your comments. To say "you thought this and that" doesn't mean anything if you haven't read up, or at least tried to find the answer. Don't forget, you asked the question about reliability.

I would agree with your idea of not rushing. There are good S8's out there to be found. I looked pretty much every day for 6 months until I found the one I wanted with low miles.

Good luck in your search.

they are great cars.. i know german performance.. my father owned a E63 AMG for 4 years he than traded it in now drives a 2012 GL550

but im not disrespecting the forum with my response.. but i do want a S8 so bad .. cheaper than what my honda costed but so much more performance

my honda did have 330hp.. and stock it was 270.. let me see if i can pull up a couple pictures for u guys
Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have '01 S8 F/S in LA, e-mail me privately: Pashamad at aol dot com.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not lower the S8. It's already lower than the A8, and go any lower, as noted, you can't get the negative camber adjusted without very expensive upper control arms.

As for the engine, they are robust, but you will have to replace the timing belt at 90k-100k. (And water pump, idlers etc.)

Transmission is a problem if you don't change the fluid to synthetic with a new filter cut 1/2 shorter on the pickup pipe, and then keep changing out both with new synthetic fluid and filter every 50K or so.

Repairs are expensive, and they can be picky vehicles at times, but there are few vehicles at any price, that drive as nice, and handle any weather like the S8/A8 does.

I love that they are low profile, don't get watched too much by the LEO's, but are faster than you need for the street without feeling like you are pushing the car past it's limits at any time.

Quick Reply: hows the S8 as a used car