A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hunting and Dropout Fix, Dealership Style! Free too!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I called the dealer and told them to tell me what was done.

The person who did the service is going to contact me whenever they get around to it I guess.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Default I already have had the recall done. It is just a bracket that secures

the lockout cable to the shifter. So the transmission can not be shifted without the key in the ignition.

Just for added safety. No software or any other mechanical work is needed.

They do it from inside the car, remove the passenger side of the console and attach a bracket to the shifter assembly.

Very quick and simple
Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default they replaced some cable on mine?

At least thats what he said was checked out of the parts inventory at the dealership.

I will find out for sure when they contact me.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

knock on wood
Old 11-26-2008, 04:42 AM

Default In this case the risk was so low as to not warrant the time taken...

I always use my parking brake as if the car is a manual so I don't care if the interlocks work or not. In fact I prefer that it doesn't. It's just as risky as a manual car now. OOhhhh ;-)
Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default assuming you are the only one driving it. it could easily turn to disaster if anyone else

is taken by surprise
Old 11-26-2008, 06:24 AM

Default Nobody else drives it. But how is this different than a manual anyway?

Seems like a non-issue. Anyway, I also ignored the recall on my Ford cruise controls. And disabled them myself - it was easier. For a real safety issue I'll get the work done per the recall.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: how could that fix the hunting issue? I'll bet they did some sort of adaption sequence as part

2 months and still working fine. I have a '98 which had the tranny problems. Got Gabor's initial fix 2 years ago but still had some hunting. After the recall, almost nothing! I don't know what they did but it works. It may not be the answer but it's free.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a warped perspective on safety, given the fact that I audit workplace safety programs

as a part of my job. I'm cursed with the tendency to take that perspective of risk assessment home with me.

In this case, if another person *did* drive your car and park it, he/she would reasonably assume that the Park lock mechanism would function like it is supposed to. From there, all sorts of accident scenarios would be possible. A purse strap or backpack strap could snag the shifter lever while exiting the car from either side and trigger an accident. A kid or pet could bump the shift lever. Another vehicle could bump the car while parking and knock it out of park. If you were disabled or died and the car were sold to a new owner then additional opportunities for accidents exist. Would you ever turn your keys over to another driver if you had been drinking or if you were ill? Are you sure you'd remember to advise them of the equipment fault?

It's all predicated on a reasonable expectation for the equipment to work as designed. If the owner of such equipment ignores a recognized fault then he is largely liable for subsequent accidents.

I do recognize that risk assessment in our personal lives can be different than in the work environment. Personally, I choose to participate in what some would call risky behaviors like rock climbing, skiing, motorcycling, and crossing the street mid-block sometimes. However, IMHO, maintenance of a vehicle that's driven on a public road lies closer to workplace/public safety than it does to individual safety.

just my 2 cents....since you asked.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM

Default We all see the world throught the prism of our own experiences and knowledge!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Hunting and Dropout Fix, Dealership Style! Free too!