A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got a response from Recaro on the lumbar support. Full e-mail text included here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a response from Recaro on the lumbar support. Full e-mail text included here...

Well at least I have a POC. Now I need to craft a crafty response. See Recaro's response below. If I do not meet with success maybe we can all bombard him with the fact that seemingly 50% of the bladders do not hold air.

Suggestions for next steps?

Mark

Dear Mr. Pollan,

I am sorry to hear about the concern with the lumbar on you seat. I contacted Germany where the seats are manufactured and they are not aware of a common problem but they also have the owners go through Audi dealers first. I will assume you tried the Audi dealer correct?

I can research to see if you are out of warranty if I can get the components from Germany but I would hate to use a shotgun approach to fix the seat by throwing parts at it without finding the root cause.

Where are you located in the US?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Ed Hessell

Aftermarket Sales Manager
Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

At 20K plus miles/year I'll send him an email for every mile. Gotsta have da lumbar!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Let's bring some attention to this issue that they don't believe exists...

should we all bring it into our dealer for an inspection and repair estimate, and send him all the estimates?

How can we capitalize on the connection you've made?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm thinking first another show of hands coupled with...

Chris Massey's experience with the dealer (HBL of Tyson's) and Gisli's experience in Iceland. I am going to reach out to Gisli to see if he can provide me with the Recaro rep that fixed his seat. Incidentally, Chris and Gisli both reported that the culprit was the controller.

Thoughts?

Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I'm glad you got a name! I don't see how they can claim with a straight face.......

that "they are not aware of a common problem" with these seats! Talk about CYA! BOTH of the lumbar bladders in my car leak like sieves, and that was when I got the car at 25K miles! Maybe they need at least 1000 failures on a component in the N.A. market to define a "common problem". Oh wait- they only imported 300 of these each year and not all of them had the Recaro seats! Let's get a poll of all S8 owners that have Recaro seats and find out a percentage of failures- that would give us some ammo.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well in his defense, I doubt many Audi owners report this problem to Recaro...

but go to their respective stealer. If the stealer does not report it to Recaro...

Anyhoo, I'm glad to have a name and we'll see where it leads.

Mark