A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE MY CAR (AND THE DEALER) (VERY LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well, look on the bright side

if audi dealers weren't so awful, incompetent and dishonest, then resale value would be so much higher, instead of miles way from to bmw and mercedes, and more car thieves would go after them in addition to lexus, acura, etc.

instead, audi's are viewed by most outsiders as higher priced volkswagens.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Transmission Replacement Quota for Stealers

I must admit, I like my dealer and they have been good about covering items. I was lucky as they replaced the head gasket for me. I took it before the 75k warranty was up and they took care of at least 3k in work. (2 Years Ago)

I had a similar situation with my transmission just this year. I was told half of these cars shift lazy when they get closer to 100k miles. My car went into limp mode in January for the first time. I have been driving it for two months and its OK. It upshifts very smooth but it thumps when I come to a complete stop if it is not warmed up. I may even be able to drive it through the summer.

I was really pissed too. Especially, when someone wants to sell you a transmission for 10k and tell you your car is only worth 10k. I got over being mad at my car. My A8 is Ming Blue also and you cant be mad at a good looking car very long.

I found a place to install a rebuilt unit for $2500. Feel free to email me if you have any questions at smulvill@yahoo.com. That way you wont be over on your warranty.

You can get the Suburu but in six years the Sub will be worth 4k and they will try to get you to trade it in when it needs 4k in work. When your car reaches a certain age, they try this with everyone. Its called, selling ROI.

Driving a 944, I would think you knew better than going to the dealer. Porsche service is even more outrageously marked up than Audi. I saw a study once and it had Jaguar and Porsche at the top on cost of maintenance. I never go to the dealer unless something is under warranty!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smithtown Audi

Hey,

I don't have the name of the tech. The dealer is Smithtown Audi, Smithtown, NY.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:05 AM
rmg

Default Re: Sorry to hear about you dealer troubles. Having worked as a

service advisor for 5 years I can state that your dealer and technician let you down.

However, as a suggestion to others on the board and for your future reference whenever there is an oil leak especially in the valve cover/head area you or the shop should clean the affected areas before attempting to dianosis where the leak is coming from. Once the area has been thourghly cleaned then it will be much easier to find where the leak is occuring.

As a matter of shop policy our technicians and service writers were told if they did the repair and it did not fix the problem then they eat the job. We would eliminate a lot hack technicians and service advisors with this policy but it kept our client happy.

On another note when dealing with a coolant leak I would always warn the client before doing any work like replacing a thermostate or hose or water pump that once we replace the weak link in the cooling system then the next weakest link could end up developing a leak once we pressure checked the system.

I always found as a service writer that if you're up fromt with people and explaind the repairs to them then they were fine.

Hopefully this will help others with their dealers.

rmg
Old 03-11-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Dealers

Hey,

If you get a chance please email the info on the replacement trans for $2500. My email is lenoble@optonline.net.

Normally I would not take the car to the dealer. This is the first time the car has been at the dealer, I prefer to do the work myself, this way I know who to complain too! It's just that with the transmission work, I am not going to get involved. Silly me, I figured the factory trained technicians would be qualified to do a torque converter swap.

Regarding the Porsche, I would be afraid to even let it get to a dealer service lot! Parts prices are good for Porsche, and I do the work on that one too.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 AM

Default You have my sympathy...

Having had my car for less than 5 months the tranny failed and I was left driving a 15 yr. old GMC pick up for 3 months while my transmission was pulled, sent to georgia, rebuilt, and then reinstalled. It definitely sucks! No doubt about that. Having just read SeanA8's posting - my tranny still thumps when the fluid temps are cold. But, with this work done the car still gives me that certain feeling- the tingle in the b--ls. I love driving it! Hang in there Barry, don't abort us yet.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Thump!

Sean-Thanks for enlightening me that others tranny seams to Thump when the fluids are cold. After driving for the first 5-10minutes the thumping goes away. One really becomes "sensitive" to tranny problems with these cars that is for sure!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Too bad there aren't more people out there ....

like you who are service writers. I think Audi typically gets the Scum off the bottom of the tank.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:20 AM

Ricco-Where should I plug it in?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did Mr. Ricco but you dont want the details! LOL

Quick Reply: I HATE MY CAR (AND THE DEALER) (VERY LONG)