A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope the transmission keeps operating like it is - it is wonderful around town

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You are making me hesitant to rebuild the valve body for my a4, thinking of trying a throttlebody
Old 01-27-2007, 02:13 PM
bA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aamco swapped out my brk lt sw, fr rt abs sensor, and speed sensor. It was better in the beginning

But it came back. It is not as harsh though. But the downhill coast unlock is still there. And also the uphill lock unlock still there. It's only about $400 bucks in parts.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hope is a wonderful thing

I'm pulling for you Paul!

After hesitation due to "winter conditions", I could no longer hold back the need to replace the TPI! After some morning errands where I logged groups 7 and 9, the task began. A warm engine is a wonderful thing for cold hands on a day with temperatures only just above single digits. The Throttle body came away readily, not more than twenty minutes time after the bonnet was released. What a grungy mess in the bore and on the throttle plates, and the stock of carb cleaner is depleated. I took the assembly to the machine shop, and sprayed it down with penetrating oil and let it drip into an old sauce pan. The gas wall heater was put to task warming the space, and I went in to have a coffee and some good hot soup.

An hour was spent cleaning the TB with old tooth brushes and fine wire bushes before replacing the TPI. I took great care to set the CTP switch so it "just clicked" when the throttle plates were truely closed.

Reasembly at the vehicle went smoothly in spite of the falling snow. (These Audi's are well designed really) I spent some extra time going over every connector and plug that had become accessable with Deoxit Gold contact enhancer.
The engine started right up, even if the idle went high at the very first. Shut down to replace the plastic, the second start was purrrfect.

In to wash up, then grab the lap top and test ride.

OH OH! dissapointment! there was still slip :-(( . the Hunt was still on !

I ran the loop to the work place. Actually, not bad! )) At the parking area, I shut down and rstarted, On the return drive, I did not sense a single missque fom the Touque converter clutch. Learning again? No bad habits I hope. A bit of grab and slip on kick down acceleration, but Hey! this could be good! I was eager to scope the data.

Oh well, the Vag- scope won't display data with interruptions ;-( Live and learn. When shut off, a break in the data stream resulted, and a continuous graph won't show. I am sure there is a work around, but I will just log again tomorrow. The drive up to the mountain offers many sections that will test the results.

So

Good Firts impressions:
The TPI is an active mechanical device that plays a direct role in the control of these torque converter clutches.

Even if the jury is not out. I'm good on the replacement.

Oh, the removed unit tested in spec regarding the resistance vlues at each pin, and the Closed throttle position switch worked fine. This old component will go in the service parts bin.

More tomorrow.

regards

CalG
Old 01-27-2007, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wonder if thats all I need? Hunt is all I have...

Its worth a shot. Cheap to try I would guess. How hard is it to do and how much $?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Please tell us where is it located and any precautions prior to swopping out. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like progress Paul. Very nice to hear after so much fighting!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Good write up

I am leaving my car at the airport for 5 days this afternoon, so I won't have a chance to drive it...and believe it or not, I don't take the highway to the airport!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I took pictures, will write a procedure if it works out long term

It's easy to change out, no more than an hour if you work slow.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default they better, I havent had the car for 10 days and I'm

already into them for over $1500 and it's no better than when I dropped it off. I gave them the part number form your photo and they are going to try it out. If I have to take the advice of AOA and the stealership vs. this list there is no question on who I trust.