A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just purchased an assortment of redline oil products, any tips on changing fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just purchased an assortment of redline oil products, any tips on changing fluid?

I got the Redline 75W90 Gear Oil for the rear and front gear box, the MT-90 for the final drive gear box, the D4 ATF for the transmission, and the Performance Motor Oil 5W30. I think it will take me an afternoon to do all these, but I think it will be worthwhile. I'm not sure what wrench size the plugs are. Any one who have done these before have any suggestions/ tips? thanks!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:54 PM

Default Re: I just purchased an assortment of redline oil products, any tips on changing fluid?

I spoke w/ Red Line last November and you picked up the products that they recommended for the various systems. I changed my oil to Red Line 5w30 and have been quite happy with the change. Note: don't over fill crank case. I would leave the level 1/2 quart low (use 7 1/2 quarts)on initial fill and drive car several miles to get oil up to normal temp, stop and wait several minutes to check and then top to full. I took a full case of 12 to my mechanic and they used 9 quarts for the change. The level looked good to him at that amount but after I took the car and drove it, on recheck it was overfull. I haven't had the courage to change the transmission oil yet. Audi says to use only the yellow Esso transmission oil. Redline says that their's is fully compatible on a change. If anyone has any confirmation of this, I would appreciate any feed back.

According to the Bentley Factory Repair CD,I think that Audi calls for the same 75W90 gear oil in the Final Drives and the Distributor gear(transfer case?), so I have a question about using M-90 there also. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips and a Big Caution!!

All the A8 fluids can be changed readily using fill/drain plugs, per the CD.

Note: you don't have to pull the cat converter for the trans final drive filler, contrary to the CD.

You will need a lube pump for the stuff under the car. Any marine dealer has these for a few dollars.

See the other reply post about getting fluid levels right with the vehicle at operating temp. this is really key, particularly for the transmission.

Big Caution: Double check that all the "under car" fluids are absolutely correct. Contact Red Line directly - don't take the word of a distributor or dealer. Red Line makes excellent products, but they must be right for the A8.

Example: you will not be able to change more than about a third of the ATF - so the fluids must be conpatible.

If you get an authoritative source at Redline to put it in writing, go ahead, and please post to the Forum.

John
Old 04-17-2002, 10:44 AM

thanks for the tips! I'll make sure that these are the correct fluids.