A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The importance of cup-holders!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The importance of cup-holders!!!

Goal for today: fill up airco and repair speedometer (see other thread). But...

Yesterday the girlfriend took the car. Today I noticed some sticky stuff on the mid console. Probably spilled some drinks or something. Cleaned it and didn't bother anymore. And decided it was time for a car wash anyway.
Until I wanted to put the car in reverse. Nothing. Engine revving, but nothing happened. Also not anymore in drive.

Looked underneath the car: Fluid dripping out all over the place. Immediately expected the worst: blown up tranny...

Had some people pushed the car off the road, and ordered a tow truck; would take two hours. Luckily I had my vag-com cable and a laptop with me since the original idea was to fix the broken speedometer. Hooked it up. Fault in transmission: intermittent no brake switch signal or something. While the cable was still connected I moved the gear lever a couple of times and noticed that nothing happened in vag-com as well.

While trying to contact some Audi specialized garages in the neighborhood and waiting for the tow truck finally I realized that there might be a correlation between the sticky stuff and the tranny not responding. So took the walnut cover off. Yes! Sticky stuff all the way in the lever-housing. Called girlfriend; she immediately admitted that during an 'emergency-break' as she called it, an entire can of energy drink fell out of the rectangular compartment just behind the gear-lever. Apparently overnight the liquid evaporated and only the sugar remained.

Did a whole lot of moving the lever back and forth and contact sprayed the interior of the housing. At some point the tranny started picking up gears again, until it hit a 100% success rate.

Can you imagine how worried I was? Especially with the fluid dripping out of the bottom (which appeared to be just water because of the car wash which also had a bottom cleaning program)...

So......

1) how to get hold of some cup holders (it's a pre facelift D2) that will fit in the rectangular compartment behind the gear lever?
2) Anybody else experienced this before?
3) How do I remove the gear lever in order to give it a better cleaning?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shifter removal with other relevant links >>>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...erremoval.html

OEM cupholder...new from dealer is about $117 >>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A8-D2-Double-Cup-Holder-4D0858195-/130898750573?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e7a2c6c6d&vxp=mtr
New girlfriend >>>

http://www.russianbrides.com/mail-or...FRRk7Aod9VwACA
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

New girlfriend >>>

http://www.russianbrides.com/mail-or...FRRk7Aod9VwACA[/QUOTE]

No doubt. LOL!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update

Just a quick update. The tranny is still working fine!
About the girlfriend: She felt really bad about it and offered to buy me a cup holder. So no need to get a new one from Russia.
By the way: It was her idea to get an Audi A8, so she deserves some credits ;-)