A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inside edges of tires getting very bad wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inside edges of tires getting very bad wear

I have had the alignment checked by two different shops and the suntspension checked as well any ideas as to why my tires are wearing so badly on just the inside edge. It is so bad now that I have to replace them.

Bre
Old 09-10-2003, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Just the front or all four?

Camber is adjustable on the rear, but not (really) on the front. Although the alignment may be "in spec", it may not be optimized for your vehicle. I would find the best Audi Quattro alignment shop in your area, replace the tires, and take it in for an alignment explaining to the technician what the problem was with the previous tires. Uneven wear on these tires can get expensive in a hurry!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:21 AM

Default Just the fronts, It has been to two different audi shops

both have checked the alignment on all four wheels the worst was the left rear and that was out by 4000 th on chamber. Everything else ws fine.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All of my cars have done this. I have taken them to be aligned and everything.

I figure this is the only reason why i will stick with my 16" rims because i can get great all season tires for $60 each... high profile tires are cheap and if you run them at approx 40.5 psi to make up for the "sponge" effect you get rather great handling.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmmmm...

Try having the toe angle set to the low end of the specification. A higher toe angle exacerbates the wear on a tire when the camber is too negative. High negative camber is great for high speed handling, but is hell on tires. How many miles are on your car, and how many miles did you get on this set of tires (tire type too)?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 AM

8000 miles on the tires 75k on the car
Old 09-10-2003, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 75K miles- time to seriously consider replacing tie rod ends and lower control arms. 8000 miles....

on a set of good tires is horrible! Does the car tend to wander or get "stuck" in ruts in the pavement? If so, then the suspension components I mentioned should be looked at. If they are replaced, get a really good alignment afterwards (with new tires on the car) and minimize the toe-in. The camber on the two front wheels should be identical if it is adjusted properly. (The camber can be adjusted side-to-side by moving the subframe- moving one tire to neutral camber will increase the negative camber on the other wheel at the same time and vice-versa.)
Old 09-10-2003, 07:42 AM

Default they have been replaced as far as I know

it does not wander but it does get stuck in rut with the new tires which are dedicated summer tires but I do not have this problem with all seasons or my winter tires
Old 09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Front springs weak/sagging/settled?

Oft times the alignment shop jacks the front to "proper" ride height b/4 checking alignment. But if the car normally sits a little lower due to sagging springs it may throw the 'real world' alignment off causing tire wear. 2cents
Old 09-11-2003, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Were they replaced after Grattan? Remember the rubber was ripped?

When we did your brakes, I remember seeing that the control arms were ripped at the subframe joint. If they weren't replaced since then, this needs to be done.

I had my front wheels off yesterday, it didn't seem to be a problem at all, there is a ton of tread on the inside. I have replaced all by one of my lower control arms.

Floris' car also had the same problem you are experiencing, he had cord showing at the end of the Grattan weekend.

pw

Quick Reply: inside edges of tires getting very bad wear