A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Integrating a Nokia phone set... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 05:12 PM
dlk
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integrating a Nokia phone set... (long)

I'm researching everything that needs to be done to integrate the Nokia handfree kit with my '01 A8. I've started with the FAQ for the A4. The good news is that the information in Ed's FAQ transfers almost completely. The only discrepancy is the with the unswitched power pins on the connector. Using the cell phone TSB, I've located where the antenna wire terminates.
Now, I'm at a decision point. I'd like to place the phone in the arm rest like the picture in the manual. To do that, I need to replace the default handset cradle. This also brings up the question of the connector in the back of the armrest.

European cars are pre-wired for the Nokia 6110. This phone is a 1800MHz GSM phone but otherwise is identical to the phone 6100 series phones sold in the US. I'd like to ask a favor of any owners of Euro spec cars, could you look under the handset cradle (the thing that pops out of the armrest) for part numbers? And could you also describe the connector in the back of the arm rest; how many pins are there? Close-up pictures would be really great. You can post them to the forum or email them to me at dlk_a8@yahoo.com. And if any of you ordered the Nokia hands-free kit when you ordered your car, the part nubmer for the installation kit would be great too.

When I get this done and with AudiWorld's blessing, I would like to write an A8 specific FAQ like the one for the A4.

(AudiUSA, do you sense a market here?)
Old 11-30-2000, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Integrating a Nokia phone set... (long)

Why not get a jabra ear piece? Am I missing something?
Old 12-01-2000, 02:49 AM

The 6110 is GSM 900 phone, i.e.. 900mhz. GSM 900 is widely used across Asia and Europe. GSM 1800 is used by a handful of providers. The US uses GSM 1900.

I only mention this because while the external construction is similar the connections may not (different pin-outs). For example the US versions of the 61xx series have the IR window on top but no IR hardware.

Regards
Old 12-01-2000, 11:28 AM
dlk
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was afraid that I had frequency wrong. But that really isn't important; the physical characteristics are the key here. By the way, I don't think that Nokia would go with different pinouts for TDMA and CDMA phones versus GSM. Doing so would just drive up the costs for all the accessories and make inventory management more difficult. Humm, I've been told by Nokia techs that the IR capability in my 6160 is build in but turned off. No matter.

What I'm really after are the parts necessary to mount the 61XX series car cradle on the pop-up arm. My guess is that the data connection in the back of thearm rest will be different. If you count the pins connectors on a 61XX, you will come up with 11 connections. Now if more than one is a ground, then you can get away with a 10 wire RJ-45 connector. (Yes, most RJ-45 are 8 wire but is also comes in a 10 wire variant.) And from the drawings in the manual, I suspect that the top piece of the popup arm is flat with either a depression to accept Nokia's mounting hardware or includes the fixed portion of Nokia's mounting hardware. But until I have part numbers or can see pictures, this is all speculation and as useful as an ice maker in the Artic.
Old 12-03-2000, 02:15 PM

The 6190 that a friend opened and a 800mhz TDMA 61xx do not have the IR. Not sure about the others.

I am going home for winter and if you are really interested I can check out the A/S8's at home. They are basically Euro spec, though slightly different tuning because they have no cat.

I should be able to get all the part nos since the VW/Audi national marketing/sales manager is a friend of my dad's.

Regards
Old 12-05-2000, 09:05 AM
dlk
AudiWorld Newcomer

That would be great. Thanks.

I've been exploring the wiring of my car with a voltmeter with the hope that Audi used only one phone harness in an effort to reduce costs. The thought was that the country specific stuff would be limited to the various termination points; "Let's see...this car is going to the UK, that's XYZ-uk in the trunk and ABC-uk in the arm rest. Next, a US car... XYZ-us and ABC-us." No such luck. If it had been so, then I wouldn't have to worry about snaking wire though the car. I guess country specific wiring is cheaper.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think AMS in Costa Mesa can do it.Call 949-515-1672