A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interchangeable Transmissions for A8

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interchangeable Transmissions for A8

Hi, Gentlemen,
I have been having problems with my transmission for a couple of years and in this part of the world where I am stationed at the moment there are no transmissions available fur purchase or even rebuilding mechanics are quite reluctant to open it. However there is an option to swap the transmissions from the working car. I have a FWD pre-facelift A8 3.7 AEW (but one of the mechanics who replaced thermostat and a pump some other staff too told me that it was not 3.7 but 4.2 ABZ engine.) Anyway, with this "mutation" the car runs like a dream car, the power is more likely of 4.2 rather than 3.7. According to catalog, I should have ZF 5HP19FL code CJZ. I was trying to find online information if this particular transmission could be swapped for another FWD one. One of the mechanics also mentioned that BMW 7-series also runs on the same transmission.
My question is if anyone has the experience I am trying to find out about: are there any interchangeable transmissions that could be compatible with my car, like from A6 or A4 which are predominantly running here? and of course BMWs are the most popular. which transmissions could be compatible for my A8? If there are out there and needs slight modification, this is also a possibility.
Thanks for your sharing the info.

Last edited by Dale Vishnevski; 04-18-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Vishnevski
Hi, Gentlemen,
I have been having problems with my transmission for a couple of years and in this part of the world where I am stationed at the moment there are no transmissions available fur purchase or even rebuilding mechanics are quite reluctant to open it. However there is an option to swap the transmissions from the working car. I have a FWD pre-facelift A8 3.7 AEW (but one of the mechanics who replaced thermostat and a pump some other staff too told me that it was not 3.7 but 4.2 ABZ engine.) Anyway, with this "mutation" the car runs like a dream car, the power is more likely of 4.2 rather than 3.7. According to catalog, I should have ZF 5HP19FL code CJZ. I was trying to find online information if this particular transmission could be swapped for another FWD one. One of the mechanics also mentioned that BMW 7-series also runs on the same transmission.
My question is if anyone has the experience I am trying to find out about: are there any interchangeable transmissions that could be compatible with my car, like from A6 or A4 which are predominantly running here? and of course BMWs are the most popular. which transmissions could be compatible for my A8? If there are out there and needs slight modification, this is also a possibility.
Thanks for your sharing the info.
I don't have experience with FWD transmissions. I would assume that any FWD 5HP19 could work as long as you swap the valve body from your old transmission. That's still a bit of a risk but might work. I swapped a FUN code transmission from a 2003 facelift car into my '99 pre-facelift and didn't swap the valve body. It led to jerking in second gear and a few other odd behaviors. I swapped in the old valve body (after cleaning it out and installing a new pressure regulator valve) and it started working perfectly.

Here is a list of all VAG cars that came with the 5hp19FL (Front wheel drive, longitudinal engine). I would pick something from the same era and look to make sure the gear ratios are similar.

5HP 19FL[edit]

Applications

Volkswagen Grouplongitudinal engine transaxle, front-wheel drive

Last edited by Dr. A8; 05-12-2021 at 02:53 PM.