A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first A8 - IR key not working and some other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first A8 - IR key not working and some other stuff

It's a high miles 96 model, pretty cheap, thought I'd give it a try and see if I liked it. Congratulations on this site; helpful and courteous. I hope to be able to contribute, but inevitably my first post is a couple of queries:

1. I have an infra red key which has only one (unmarked) button on the key. Have changed the batteries, but still doesn't work - no response from the central locking at all. I suspect this is a take-it-to-the-dealer job to check out the IR receiver circuits, but is there anything obvious to check first ?

2. Seat belt adjuster motor on driver's side doesn't work. Can hear the relay clicking and the wheels spinning, but no movement. Would like to at least move the belt up to suit my height, if not fix the motor. Can't see a way into the trim panel - do I have to take the interior apart to get to it ?

3. And lastly, can anyone recommend any aftermarket parking sensor systems that I could fit (in the car, not the type that go on the garage wall) ?

Many thanks

Mark
Old 01-21-2002, 05:41 AM

Default have you tried to reprogram your remote with 2 keys?

there are several posts on how to reprogram your remote control. I have done it myself and it works. You need to put a key in the ignition, and another in the driver's door. I can't recall the excact procedure, perhaps someone can remember off the top of their head. But I found it on this site by doing the search function.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think this works on your car....

Insert any of the car keys into the steering lock and switch on the ignition.

Lock the car with another key (preferably the one you're trying to reprogram) on the driver's or passenger's side. Remove the key.

Point the key that you are trying to reprogram at the infrared sensor and briefly press the button from 1 to 4 times. Pressing the button once will program memory position #1, pressing it twice will program position #2, etc.

The anti-theft horn will sound briefly after each signal to confirm proper reception. Wait five seconds after the last push, and then push the button once again. The vehicle should unlock and the programming is finished.

The programming must be completed within 30 seconds after locking the car. If it does not, you have to repeat the procedure by re-locking the driver's or passenger's key.

HTH!!
Old 01-23-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Just bought my first A8 - IR key not working and some other stuff

Yes, tried the FAQ methods, nothing doing. Think it's a problem with the controller somewhere. Going to take it to my local dealer and see what they see. Thanks for the help though.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just bought my first A8 - IR key not working and some other stuff

I assume you live in HK. So do I.

1. Try to ask the Audi dealer in HK.
2. Try Tech Fu motoring @ Kwai Chung (tel : 24250788). They may be able to help you with the seat motors.
3. I fitted parking sensor (3 sensors mounted to rear bumper)to my 1997 A8. Cost around HK$1300 from Chun Kau Motoring @ North Point, tel : 25709708. Works well.