A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Servotronic Module (Through Rotten Cover)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Servotronic Module (Through Rotten Cover)

I had an elusive power steering leak that I couldn't isolate until I pulled the rack. The leak was between the frame rail and the motor and seemed to be running down the top of the heat shield and dropping onto the exhaust; the boots were dry and there weren't any apparent leaks. I sprayed the banjo bolts (on the rack) with brake cleaner, dried everything off, yet couldn't see where the fluid was leaking from.

After pulling the rack, I could see that something didn't look right with the servotronic module's cover. It was heavily corroded and oily. Washed it with brake cleaner and I could then see among the corrosion, part of the black o-ring that seals the square cover to the module, through the cover itself!

Has anyone seen a failure like this before? The dealership wants over $350 for the module and cannot order just the cover and o-ring (big surprise). Everything else looks good and dry. Any ideas on where one can buy just the cover and o-ring?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default corroded steering solenoid cover

I just had the same problem with a leaking Servotronic solenoid cover. I'm having a couple of new covers machined.
The rack was not as bad as I thought to remove.

Originally Posted by Gr8White
I had an elusive power steering leak that I couldn't isolate until I pulled the rack. The leak was between the frame rail and the motor and seemed to be running down the top of the heat shield and dropping onto the exhaust; the boots were dry and there weren't any apparent leaks. I sprayed the banjo bolts (on the rack) with brake cleaner, dried everything off, yet couldn't see where the fluid was leaking from.

After pulling the rack, I could see that something didn't look right with the servotronic module's cover. It was heavily corroded and oily. Washed it with brake cleaner and I could then see among the corrosion, part of the black o-ring that seals the square cover to the module, through the cover itself!

Has anyone seen a failure like this before? The dealership wants over $350 for the module and cannot order just the cover and o-ring (big surprise). Everything else looks good and dry. Any ideas on where one can buy just the cover and o-ring?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8sixspeed
I just had the same problem with a leaking Servotronic solenoid cover. I'm having a couple of new covers machined.
What material are you machining the covers out of? The original seemed to be made out of some cheap pot metal. I ended up paying the dealer for the zf part.

I agree that the rack wasn't terrible to remove; like most things on these cars, there is usually a very specific way to fix and repair the A8. Just takes a little thought and patience. It also helps to think about the money you are saving by not taking it in and by doing it yourself.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking Servotronic Module

I made the part out of 6061 aluminum - any aluminum will work. The cover worked out well.

Originally Posted by Gr8White
What material are you machining the covers out of? The original seemed to be made out of some cheap pot metal. I ended up paying the dealer for the zf part.

I agree that the rack wasn't terrible to remove; like most things on these cars, there is usually a very specific way to fix and repair the A8. Just takes a little thought and patience. It also helps to think about the money you are saving by not taking it in and by doing it yourself.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A8sixspeed
I am having the same issue with the corroded cover. Do you have any of the aluminum machined covers for sale?