A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like a punch in the gut! The A8 dies in traffic...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like a punch in the gut! The A8 dies in traffic...

I was driving the kids and ex-wife to my son's surgery appointment (went very well!)... I'm all proud of the car (ex had never been in it before)... and just as we're about to reach the ferry, it starts to sputter. Now we're in a panic. We HAVE to make the ferry for the surgery appointment, so I start to turn around and head back to her place a mile away to get her new CR-V. Can't figure out what is wrong. Car is driving like it is out of gas, but there is still a 1/4 tank or so. [side note: at one point, rolling about 2 mph, I inadvertently go from "3" to "P" and get a VERY quick and mild gear buzz before I slam on the brake]

Part way up the rural 4-lane highway (with no shoulders), the car flat-out dies and won't restart. Ferry is offloading and there is traffic headed my way. At least they have good sight of me AND I used my handy-dandy warning triangle! (seriously, a nice accessory)

Local PD pulls up and gives the kids and ex a ride to her place. After helping them safely, but uhhh... "promptly" catch the ferry in record time (he also radioed ahead to hold the boat a minute), the cop comes back, parks behind me with lights and hangs out chatting about Audis for 20 minutes until the flatbed shows up. Apparently, if HE calls the tow, they'll come immediately, so I skip my auto club call so that I can get on the next boat to be with my son.

This is the first tank of gas I've put in it since the fuel pump repair, so I'm thinking it is something related to the installation. I told the shop to put in 2 gallons of gas and try to start it in case it is that line/connector issue. Right now, it cranks, but won't fire -- or at least not past a sputter or two.

Also, I *thought* I saw a good-sized, rainbow-colored slick of some thin fluid on the pavement after they moved the car, but the cop said it didn't smell like gas. Guessing that IF it came from my car, it was from about 1/3 of the way back. Also, I thought I saw a drip from that area when it was on the flatbed, but it had stopped a few minutes later. Note that while it wasn't raining, the pavement was wet and the weather was generally gray, so my hyper-optimist theory is that it was simply road moisture dripping off of the car's greasy underbelly. [hope, hope, hope, pray, pray, pray]

Any thoughts??
Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where was your gas gauge? Check for a leak removing fuel from the line on the way to the engine?

Nothing else obvious pops into my head, but I am not a morning person, heh.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 AM

Display said 50+ miles left (not incl. reserve?). Arrow was a tick or two above reserve.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default start it up, and get under her to make sure there is no leak. If not...

It could also be a faulty fuel line connection in the tank. Simply, something could have popped off after they put it back together.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Elder Member

Default Don't think there's a reserve.

My car drove fine in a straight line, but it sputtered going around a corner with the display showing 4 miles to go. Thankfully, I had to go less than one mile before filling up. Since it took 23.3 gal, I was down to ~1/2 gal.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Almost certainly the cross connect

If you want to send me an email, I have a PDF that discusses troubleshooting. This has happened to others in the past.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:52 AM

Yes, I do hope something just popped off.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 AM

I was well above the "Reserve" on the analog gauge. Book says 2+ gal "reserve."
Old 03-01-2006, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I was well above the "Reserve" on the analog gauge. Book says 2+ gal "reserve."

I ran my A8 to zero and it took 21.7 gals, leaving 2.9 gals "reserve". Next time I won't panic, but it was an anxious last few minutes before filling up.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How is fuel level read in the tank? New pump install -- maybe sending unit not calibrated ?

Quick Reply: Like a punch in the gut! The A8 dies in traffic...