A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lumbar supports ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumbar supports ...

I have recently received an email from mpollan asking about my experiences with replacing my lumbar supports in the front seats. Sorry for not having responded earlier, but life's been pretty hectic! Mark, I thought I would respond to the board for greater "coverage" ... I am not really a car expert, so I will tell you all that I can.

My experience with the stealer on this front was far less than optimal; the car was in the shop 5 separate times. The second trip was because they didn't have the parts in stock, but it was really ridiculous.

Ultimately, after arguing incessantly each time that they were fixed, that they tested them personally, that they didn't know what I was doing to them because they worked in the shop (nice, huh?), etc - I got smart and demanded the shop manager come out and we used table top cardboard holders for business cards to set in the seats, hold against the fully inflated lumbar, and then watched several times the lumbar deflate by just waiting about a minute. finally they believed me!

Here is what was done, broken out by trip:

Trip #1:
ordered 1 of each of the following:
4D0-881-869-A Adjuster
4d0-862-225-M Hose

Trip #2:
installed the above

Trip #3:
replaced 2 of each:
4D0-959-757-B Adjuster
4D0-959-935 Air Pump

Trip #4:
replaced 2 of each:
4D0-959-931 Control Unit

Trip #5:
reinstalled driver's lumbar switch because it was upside down.

By Trip #4, everything was beautiful - so I cannot tell you if it was only the control unit all along, or if other items needed replacing as well - but since everything is pretty much new for me now, I am a happy, happy camper.

Feel free to comment or ask questions, and sorry again for the length of time it took me to respond!

Thanks to the board for their help in the past ...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Any idea what the adjuster does?

Is that what controls vertical and horizontal movement in the seat? (Horizonal would be inflate for recaro seats). From what I read most of the issues are that the support deflates and does not hold in place. The unit can be inflated/deflated and "adjusted" vertically by using the switch, so I would think the adjusters on most are OK.

If this be true, the control unit is what needs to be replaced. Does this make sense to everyone?

Thanks for sharing with the group!
Brian
Old 05-06-2008, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do they finally work now, and hold their lumbar position? If so, for how long?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a DIY project if we can get the parts...

and avoid similar time-consuming experience(s) at the $tealer?

What was the total cost of this project or did they cover it?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Awesome thanks Chris!! It looks like the control unit is the culprit. Recall...

I posted that somebody in Iceland had their seats repaired by a Recaro rep. The part number that was replaced was 4D0959931 which is the same as Chris' trip #4. The how to was not DIY confidence inspiring. See link...

Whilst under my exclusionary warranty I will be investigating who has this competency and paying them a visit.

Chris, one more flavor if I may. Is the name of the tech who did the work on your invoice? Seems he should be pretty adept at taking things apart after practicing on your car.

regards,

Mark<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/160809.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/160809.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

The costs were all covered, so I don't know what they were, sorry
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes, they do hold. pretty close to forever, methinks. I have not had to re-inflate them since.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default He is the shop foreman at HBL Tysons, I don't recall his name

and yes, the seats had to be taken apart each time to do the work - they sent to an upholstery shop locally but I don't know which one.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No worries and thx again Chris. I'll give HBL a holler.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh say Chris, may I drop your name with HBL?

Quick Reply: Lumbar supports ...