A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major service interval - engine cleanout

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major service interval - engine cleanout

I am due for a regular major engine service on my '98 A8 at 96,000 km (approx. 60,000 mi). In addition to the usual major tuneup stuff, the dealer is recommending that I get the engine cleaned of carbon and other deposits through a procedure in which they burn a different type of fuel through the system. This is not called for by Audi in the service manual, but it is something the dealer recommends. Of course, it also adds approx. 60% additional cost to the already big dollar for the major service.

Has anyone ever had this done, or can you offer any insight into the value of the procedure? My current thinking is, if Audi don't call for it, I'll pass, but if it is deemed by people in this forum to be of real value, I'll reconsider.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:48 PM

Default first impulse: Pass...

...but some questions you should ask:

1- What is the value of doing this? Does it improve performance or mileage? Has there been evidence that it prevents issues down the road?
2- If you maintain your car according to schedule, is it necessary?
3- Any other customers/referrals they could give you?

Are you in the U.S.? I am assuming you are not, since you stated your mileage in "km"- is there some regulatory "logic" behind their recommendation (emissions)?
Old 12-10-2002, 03:21 PM

Default Re: first impulse: Pass...

If your car runs fine, you would be wasting your money. Even if it was running so-so, you would probably still be wasting your money.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Save Your Money!

In almost all cases, this is an absolutely unnecessary procedure. It may cause more harm than good.

I would think twice about using this particular repair shop or dealer. They may try to sell you atomic polymer paint sealant and bionic fabric guard as well.

Sometimes, on older cars m(eg, small 6 cyl BMW's with K and L Jetronic), intake valve stems and injector nozzles can get shrouded with carbon. Inexpensive Chevron Techtron additive is the best treatment for this.

Pouring Diesel fuel through a running gas engine, or flushing out the crankcase with solvent are things that old shops may still do to old cars, based primarily on old wives' tales. Don't let 'em do it to yours. Use Audi recommended oils, lubes, parts, and procedures only.

Hope this helps

I have not heard of this being a problem on Late model Audi's
Old 12-10-2002, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had it done on mine and it worked great (read)

BG 44 under pressure, gas tank the whole stuff was 160 including throttle body cleaning. Why so much more for an A8 (I have an A4 2.8)
Old 12-10-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Major service interval - engine cleanout

Thanks for the comments.

Re the question about my location, I live in Canada. The dealer is not talking about regulatory issues - the recommendation is strictly made on the basis of the presumed benefits of the so-called cleaning.

Re the cost issue, I'm assuming your $160 cost is USD. The estimate for my A8 is $300 CDN, so with the conversion my estimate is slightly higher. You say it worked great on your A4. Was the procedure done separately or in conjunction with other engine service, i.e. can you be sure the benefits were due to the burnout?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It was done in addtion to regular service 30K oil change and plugs (read)

I am gonna have it done once a year. it was of course in addition to service, it came about when I asked them to clean the ICV valve and the throttle body. I chevron cleaner once in a while butwhat they did really rocked. The car stayed very good for months until of course deposits re appear. The A8 is a big engine and I believe it will make it more good than bad. Do a search on BG 44 on all forum and see some of the feedback.
Like I said I will do it once a year. I should have done it the first day I got my car, the first owner lived in NYC and never left the city. talked about deposits.............
Old 12-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Moe
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Use Techroline by Chevron and save yourself some money

I was caught in the middle of I-5 at midnight once many years ago and the fuel filter clogged up to a point that I caould not go more than 10 mph. By luck I had a can of Techroline in my trunk. Added it to the fuel and in a few minues I was able to get the engine running to higher and higher RPM. If it can open the gunk from the fuel filter, it can help with keeping valve stems clean.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:43 PM

Default I saw something like that on Two Guys Garage

They said it was much more effective than the fuel additives, including Techron, which I use regularly and like.