A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIL is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL is on

I have a 2002, recently my car has started to shift gears hard and then it goes into limp mode. When I turn off the car everything is the same and it happens again. When the Check light came on I went to get it looked at.code P0730. I was told that the transmission is going out and I also was told a sensor could have went out.

is this a common problem with this year A8?
is this a simple fix?
Car is still in pretty good shape only has 170k miles I’m just looking for advice to get it fix or should I just dump the car.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

A common and very searchable problem. If you catch it before it breaks something the front lower valve body can be replaced and/or the TransGo valve upgrade performed.
Left alone, hard parts will break and the trans will need a rebuild. I recommend replacing the valve body and installing the TransGo valve but just the valve addressed the issue in one of my cars.
However the VB is pretty cheap all things considered. On my S8 I put in the transgo valve and then went back in to do the VB also as I still had some issues.

This is the valve body but I got it from Eriksson Industries
https://www.thectsc.com/products/val...p30-86-32.html

https://transgo.com/product-details/...ulator-repair/

The wear in the VB can be pretty deep in the valve bore and hard to discern and for under $200 plus the labor to swap over the valves IMO it's better to replace the VB.
-Joel.