A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ming blue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ming blue

Hey all!

looking to buy a Ming Blue/ Ecru A8 with 43k miles for around $35k. It has both warm and cold weather packages- 17's tiptronic and a 6 discer. In any case-any ming blue owners out there- I can't say I'm in love with the color- black shines up so nice and looks so elegant on a bad *** luxo ride like the 8- but the blue wouldn't dirty as easy- I'm quite torn as I know I have some negotiating room, its an Assured vehicle, and its mint- any dark blue owners feel free to chime in - and others- looking for opinions- I've only seen the color at night- also if anyone wants to post a pic -it would be much appreciated
Old 12-06-2001, 08:51 AM

Default Re: ming blue

I had a ming blue A6, and it shows dirt just as easily as the black. It's not my faviorite color either. I have a silver A8 now, and it's the easiest color of all the cars I've had to take care of. My second favorite was a Champaign colored Lexus, but I think that's a woman's car.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ming. It's the other black:-)
Old 12-06-2001, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Racing Green. It's the other black ;-)

Ming Blue was my preferred and favourite A8 colour when looking for my car, but most I found had beige/cream interior, which I absolutely despise!! :-) Each to their own I guess.

I ended up with Racing Green with Platinum Grey interior. The Racing Green is also almost black in some light.

Bottom line is, all the dark colours are a pain to keep clean and will show fine polishing scratches a lot, more than say silver.

Andy P.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:28 AM

took a look at it in the sun today- liked it a lot more than i thought- unfortunately is was still dirty - but I'm sure will look much better post recon- which I'll be checking out tonight-i still prefer black or silver- but you can't find a silver with a tan interior-so sad.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:30 AM

Re: Supraboytt: Best Women's Car color? A Pink Caddy!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Ebony Pearl is a nice compromise to Black

i have an ebony pearl S8 - even when dirty, the "fleck" in the paint really distracts the eye from the dirt.

when clean - it looks killer!!!

for those that may not know (like me at first cause a lot of dealers don't have it), ebony pearl in layman terms is a very dark grey with lots of "fleck".

if anyone's looking for a dark colour other than black, they should consider it.

unfortunately, i only had 2 choices: black and ebony pearl. the black was in the showroom all cleaned and polished and STILL looked like crap (too many imperfections/swirls/light scratches etc.)

just my 2 cents (canadian)

regards.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Ebony Pearl is a nice compromise to Black

hmm food for thought-the only colors i'm seeing in New England (i live in Boston) are black and ming blue- rietzl audi has a few A8's but there prices are high- they have a black 98 with 37k for $40k - it has the cold weather but not the warm weather poackage. Clair Audi has the 98 ming blue with 43k for $36k and it has both cold and warm weather packages. I'm all torn up- nothing worse than buyers remorse especially when dropping close to 40k
Old 12-06-2001, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Ming. It's the other black:-)

Your comment brings me to something that I notice the other day in the bright sunlight. The left side of my Black A8's door bumper guards seem to be that dark ming blue. It;s not that evident in the shade. I turned the car to face the other way and looked at the ridht side ( sitting in the sun ) and the door strips are black. Could this have been a production line error. I guess Audi should fix this under the normal free period though. I know my Service Manager will think I'm nuts but I swear one side of my A8 has those dark ming blue-ish door guard strips ( or whatever you call them ).
Old 12-06-2001, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a '97 Black A8, and I've had it parked side by side with a Ming Blue before, and I've got to say, the black blows the ming out of the water, course, thats just my opinion.....the ming blue has never really done anything for me as a color, it just looks kinda dirty and dusty to me, but who am I to judge, it's gonna be your car man, and if you like it, jump all over it, you won't regret the ride at all!!!!

Quick Reply: ming blue