A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most folks on this forum love their A8, right, but why? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most folks on this forum love their A8, right, but why? (long)

Just how many of these Audi "quirks" are really excusable? I just finished reading the saga of the silver A8 and AOA's response (lack thereof?), and it got me to thinking. Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love my A8 and wouldn't really want to drive another car. However, I sometimes have to ask myself if it's worth the aggravitation. I've owned a lot of cars, and I've never had one that required (essentially) the entire front suspension to be replaced every 45 thousand miles. This front end is criminal and an obvious case of parts-bin engineering gone bad, or just poor engineering period. Handles great-- until it starts creaking and/or rattling! The tie rod ends are obviously not up to the task here-- they're barely good for 40k. We put up with weak trannies-- that you can't easily even check the fluid level on. Talk about teutonic arrogance? No dipstick-- sealed system! Oil leaks from the oil cooler and valve cover gaskets. Smoky hypoid leaks from the diff and from the rear seal onto the cat. Nobody has a working steering wheel heater, and 90% of the headrests are DOA. Yet, we still love these cars and are quick to defend them! Add to this an indifferent dealer network and arrogant parent company. Plummeting resale values, worse now than even Jaguar. But it's all ALUMINUM! The interior is beautiful! This car costs 70+ grand, for God's sake, and don't you think the front end oughta go at least, say 100k? The car not spot the cement at 30k? Not cost half the cars' value for a new trans just out of warranty? Say what you will about the "soulless" Japanese cars, but Lexus or Acura would NEVER treat their customers in the manner that we're accustomed to reading about from Audi. And these routine little Audi "quirks" are flaws that would be unthinkable on an Accord, let alone an LS430. I've owned an (gasp) AWD Subaru that went 200+ thousand miles with nothing more than routine maintenence-- could have bought 4 for the price of one A8. It never needed a single control arm. Do I love my A8? ABSOLUTELY! No question! Am I totally f@#$ing crazy? Maybe... ;-|
Old 01-16-2004, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perfection. Could not agree more. (You forgot gas leaks though)
Old 01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Most folks on this forum love their A8, right, but why? (long)

Front end was improved in 2000.

Tranny problems mostly fixed after 1997.

Lifetime fluid eliminated need for tranny dipstick and they don't want grease monkeys to put in Dextron fluid.

German rubber seals just plain suck and it's worse when you have more of them (quattro complexity).

Problems with dealers and AoA is 50% the fault of the owners preconceived attitudes. "I paid so much so give me for free now!" Crybabies. And 50% Audi's history, including Ralph Nader. Must be a flaw in the corporate culture here too.

Things I hate:

Drive by wire throttle

Transmission doesn't downshift when it "should" (maybe better with the new 6 speed)

Dealers charge too much for out-of warranty repairs.

Not enough independents who know Audi.

The cars don't rust, don't "door-ding" and look like they should last forever, but they don't!
Old 01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Your "low resale" is my gain...

I got my 2000 A8 for $25K because that's all the dealer would give in trade for it. The boss thought that since the A8 was such a lost cause, it may as well go to someone who would appreciate it! I've owned an Audi 4000 before, so I know I'll be putting some $$$ into maintenence. But I can't get this sh*t-eatin' grin off my face when I'm driving!

I share your insanity!
Old 01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Because cars designed to go 150mph on the Autobahn feel super at half that speed on the Interstate.

And you don't get that feeling in a glorified Toyota, no matter how reliable it may be.

Now Audi needs to watch out if the Japanese start testing car suspensions at the Nurburgring. And this Caddy CTS-V is going to be interesting to watch. . .
Old 01-16-2004, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the best summary of A8 ownership that I've read to date - well done !
Old 01-16-2004, 06:32 PM

Default How long do the last generation A8's last with careful use..

and only occasional spirited driving?? Any takes?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Most Other cars have problems too

I work in the automotive tire and service industry. I see all types of vehicles. From domestic to foreign, and all cars have quirky problems. As a general rule, japanese cars do cost less to maintain, but also are a little bland in styling and driving experience. I use to have an Infinity Q45 and there is no comparison between the Q and the A8. I just look at it as " price of admission."

As a former motorcyclist, I think A8 drivers are like motorcyclist, very passionate about their babies!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:45 PM

Default I think A8 drivers are like motorcyclist, very passionate about their babies!!!

Or a group all exhibiting a common abnormality. . . an obvious minority. . . that must band together in order to survive . . . We simply find comfort in association with others exhibiting the same abnormality.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2000 Up improved suspension?

What did they do? My EKTA shows the same part numbers.

Quick Reply: Most folks on this forum love their A8, right, but why? (long)