A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife got her first glimpse of an A8 last night...she called it an "old man's car"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife got her first glimpse of an A8 last night...she called it an "old man's car"

We've been toying with the idea of picking up a TT as they're getting old enough that some are being dumped cheap when they have significant problems. So last night we headed out to a used car lot that Cars.com told me had about 6 TT's and "tried on" a couple.

Parked in front of one of the TT's was a nice silver A8L and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to introduce her to one. Based on looking thorough the windows at the luxurious interior she promptly pronounced it an "old man's car". I had to chuckle... I dont' think a discourse on aluminum frame, body panels, and block would have impressed her much.

We had a 1994 Jaguar XL6 for awhile a couple years ago. We joked about how far away we were from each other in the Jag compared to my A6 daily driver. The A8 looked similar in that regard...quite a reach to hold hands or rest my hand on her leg while cruising down the highway.

In any case, I'm still pursuing a project A8...and more seriously than a TT project.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I, for one, am thankful that it appears so.

This makes it easier to find one a good one. The dealer who sold me the A8 tried to sell it to his son - so convinced was he of its value. The son had the same response. When I got to the car it was "deal of the week". The title had to be called back from the auctioneer. "Old men" see a car with 100,000 miles on it and think it's had it. I imagine that your wife is fairly young.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

She might be right. What's your age group? Family composition?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Funny...

A friend of mine from my Subaru days said the exact same thing when I bought my A8 years ago, but when I took him for a spin in the S8, he hadn't a bad thing to say. In any event, I kind of like the whole "old man" aspect; cuts the attention being drawn to a minimum.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Default My son has a girlfriend now (he's 14), I take him to his girlfriend's house..

usually on Saturdays and they watch movies for acouple of hours and hold hands (innocence how cool).
The other day his girlfriend's older sister was home from college and when she saw my car her remarks were "what a sexy car, nice, shiny and black!"
This statement came from a 21yr. old.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM

It's the same here. The college ladies love the land yacht.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ahhh! A Grown up car!

the comment made by one member of my wife's car-pool!

Yes, I like that very much thankyou!

CalG
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 14-yr old's friends all think the D2 is a cool car. I get comments every time I pick them up.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine is the first car I've had that my wife likes - and takes the keys to. Course she looks...

...12 doing so but who cares.

An A8 - esp. an L - is *SOOOOOO* much more car than a TT. Those don't wear well at all, like you said they start having signficant problems.

And they're chic cars - no offense. My neighbor scored a red ALMS coupe - that's about the *only* one I find acceptable IMO.

Next time don't just peer in the windows take it for a burn and insist she does too. They are something to BEHOLD, an experience like no other. Esp. the ride of an L... amazing. Show her the double glazed windows, the dual zone climate control, the rest setting on the climate control, etc. Then you can show her the backseat's power lumbars, and then demonstrate how the vacuous space back there makes it obligatory to go for a poke in the whiskers... er... was that out loud?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Elder Member

Default lol at hlding hands. At 13 I went home with a chick from my bus and she raped me :P

6 times

Quick Reply: My wife got her first glimpse of an A8 last night...she called it an "old man's car"