A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my windows insulated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Are my windows insulated?

Now that we're getting to the summer-heat time of the year and it's only going to get worse. How do I find out if my D2 has insulated windows & windshield? I have the Vehicle Identification Label (VIL). I'm sure there is code on the VIL that says whether or not my car has insulated glass. I just don't know what to look for.

I'm thinking about getting either a 3M Crystalline or Llumar Windscreen Film on my windshield to help keep the heat out and protect my dash and front seats from sun damage. But if I already have insulated glass all around, I might as well keep my money in my pocket for later use : )
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VAG option code decoder >>

http://igorweb.org/equidec/

VIL Option codes (from my car):

"4KP" = Side and rear windows, acoustic glass

"4GP" = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield & viewing window for VIN

About the acoustic glass: Have you noticed that almost all noise from Harleys, jackhammers and diesel trucks seems to come though the windshield only. I noticed this right off...the side windows (noticeable dual pane construction when view from top) really do a nice job...wish the windshield was as "quiet". I have to assume that the side glass does a good job at heat insulation as well(?)
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks silverd2!

Great link and according to my VIL, I do have the side and rear windows with acoustic glass and the heat-insulating windshield.

People who have ridden in the back seats always comment on how quiet it is. Love hearing that : )

What an awesome car!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of the reasons I love this car.

You can get the dual pane windows, so in reality, you have multi-pane glass all around on the S8/A8. All the glass is re-inforced by that layer of plastic in the middle, even your windshield. It makes breaking into the car nearly impossible. You have to crack both layers of glass, and then cut through the plastic layer. No easy task.

Further, you should always tint the windows with the best tint you can afford. This ends all UV light damage. (Sun age.) It cuts down on heat too, and guess what? It makes the glass even that much more break in resistant.

I've been looking at stripping the old, existing tint on my S8, and replacing it with new fade proof 3M stuff, or even going with a bullet proof "tint" that does everything the normal tint does, but it also stops bullets. (Up to a round from an AK if you can belive it.. hand gun ammo is not much of a match for this stuff, and it's applied like normal tint, so nobody knows you have "armored" your car in this way.)

I say go for the tint. There is no downside, and even if you have dual pane glass, it's still a nice cool car you get into this way.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a D2, but interesting vid about Audi A8 side windows.

The A8 story starts at 1:54 on the vid >>>

Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
Not a D2, but interesting vid about Audi A8 side windows.

The A8 story starts at 1:54 on the vid >>>

Mission Impossible: Audi A8 break-in - What Car? - YouTube
Very cool! Ok, who's going to be the first to test their D2 windows?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Adjuster
...I've been looking at stripping the old, existing tint on my S8, and replacing it with new fade proof 3M stuff, or even going with a bullet proof "tint" that does everything the normal tint does, but it also stops bullets. (Up to a round from an AK if you can belive it.. hand gun ammo is not much of a match for this stuff...
Very cool video!

Adjuster: You must run with a tough crowd : )
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you are going to have tint, and can get it bullet resistant as well as UV 99% etc... Why not go there?

I've adjusted many claims where things went through the windows, and injured, and even killed occupants. It's not just bullets that kill folks, but bumpers, fire wood, coolers, bar bells, boat anchors and all sorts of stuff that is flying around, or can be when your vehicle meets up with another one at the wrong moment.

I had a claim with a man who sells rifles, pistols, knives and swords at gun shows all over the nation. We insured his van that he drives from show to show, and of course, he carries his products in the van.

On one foggy early morning, just West of Othello, Washington, this guy passed a potato truck, and found out the hard way that truck was making a left turn onto a dirt road... so the guy impacted the side of the truck and trailer about 60mph or more.

He was slightly off center, and had swerved some, and that saved his life.

I used to have photos of the engine block with a few old rifles stuck into it. (Van's have a flimsy cover that blocks noise, heat and gives a place to mount cup holders over the engine.. Well, that cover was like a pin cushion with all the rifles, swords and even a few spears in there. The right side seat was also totally skewered, and if there was someone there, they would have been perforated many times.

But the driver had broken legs, but the air bag, and fact the impact was mostly to the right front saved him. (And the truck was still moving slightly in his direction as it turned left, so impact force was less than 60mph into a solid, unmoving object.)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think there have been some problems with ACE, but they are still in Canada, but I'm not sure about in the USA right now.

Too bad, it's NOT bullet PROOF. Nothing is.

It's bullet resistant.
It's a nice safety layer, but it's not perfect, and it will not stop everything.

Lawsuits and greedy lawyers killed it, and people saying it was bullet proof here in the USA did not help.