A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Twin Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help with Twin Turbo Project

I found and bought all the parts I could from a total'd RS6 to fit to my S8 6 speed. I got the brakes too. I need help with the engine management for the Turbo's but with a twist, my S8 is already a 6 speed. I'm good with the 3 dimensional stuff and I have tuned L98, LT and LS engines but I dont know where to start with Audi engine management.
Any help or a lead to someone who can help me will be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This will be an awesome project when completed. This might help?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Badass!
Old 12-10-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In for the updates. Do the RS6 exhaust manifolds/turbos bolt onto the S8 engine?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tozo (aka Gabor) who used to spend time here and on QW swapped his S8 to a 6 speed 01E box (with TDi 6th gear) and twin turbocharged it DIY. If memory serves, he kept boost fairly conservative and modified the stock ECU with Unitronic software.

Couple of random thoughts. The stock D2 ECU doesn't expect to see positive pressure in the manifold and lacks the timing and fuel maps to cope. You could go with 1 of 3 options: 1) swap to the RS6 ECU, but I don't know if it will pair with the instrument cluster, 2) a stand alone aftermarket setup or 3) a piggyback that keeps the stock ECU happy and handles fuel & timing on boost. If you go with the RS6 brain, keep in mind that it was on an engine with slightly different sensors and lower compression pistons. IF you can get it to pair with the cluster and the difference in sensors/wiring is not crazy, then it is definitely worth a shot. Also not sure if your throttle /gas pedal is compatible with the RS6 throttle by wire setup.

Martin swapped an RS6 engine and ECU in its entirety into his S8, but there is a lot of good info in there: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...d2-s8-2872820/

I toyed with the idea a few years back and thought an AEM F/I C-8 would be handy. It's a piggyback that can adjust injector duration up or down - useful to retain a decent idle on larger injectors- and, when on boost, it adjusts the ignition timing and tricks the stock ecu into thinking everything is within parameters with the O2 sensors and AFM while on boost. Unfortunately, I no longer see it on their website, but you can still find them online. Seems tricky to program, but it doesn't involve pairing other ECUs to the D2.
The following users liked this post:
icsamerica (12-11-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
Tozo (aka Gabor) who used to spend time here and on QW swapped his S8 to a 6 speed 01E box (with TDi 6th gear) and twin turbocharged it DIY. If memory serves, he kept boost fairly conservative and modified the stock ECU with Unitronic software.
Did some searching and found that the owner that bought his car had issues with the turbos melting a fair amount of items The owner that bought tozom8's car.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by d2noob
Did some searching and found that the owner that bought his car had issues with the turbos melting a fair amount of items The owner that bought tozom8's car.
Been down that road and won't make those mistakes... That's why I bought all the RS6 stuff. The engeneeering on OE stuff is always better. I suspect the turbos were making all that heat from a safe tune...lots of fuel and too little timing is safe but cooks.

Looks like my only viable option for fuel and timing is an AEM piggyback.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. Safe for the pistons is not always safe for the turbine and exhaust valves.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have already determined that if I do add a turbo, it will be a remote mount system. Packaging in the engine bay is way too tight. With a remote mount it helps get a lot of the heat out of the engine bay etc. Plus it sounds crazy
Old 12-18-2019, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Been down that road and won't make those mistakes... That's why I bought all the RS6 stuff. The engeneeering on OE stuff is always better. I suspect the turbos were making all that heat from a safe tune...lots of fuel and too little timing is safe but cooks.

Looks like my only viable option for fuel and timing is an AEM piggyback.
By way of disclaimer, the last thing I turbocharged was a 1990 Miata with a T-28 and Haltech, weld-el manifold, some junkyard IC (from an STi?). The technology has changed dramatically. That said Corky Bell's Maximum Boost is still good bathroom reading material for anyone trying to do this from scratch. Since I'm in Cali, I always thought a AEM FI/C-8 was a good fit. I'd cut up a junkyard ECU to get the male connectors off the board and make up a patch cable so I wouldn't have to touch the stock harness, but make all the connections in the patch cable. Every two years, unplug it, spin some wrenches and pass a SMOG test.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of current offerings in the piggyback market. So that's a concern. Are newer cars harder to fool or easier to flash? Dunno.

The following users liked this post:
icsamerica (12-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Need help with Twin Turbo Project