A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Twin Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. A8
I have already determined that if I do add a turbo, it will be a remote mount system. Packaging in the engine bay is way too tight. With a remote mount it helps get a lot of the heat out of the engine bay etc. Plus it sounds crazy
Just wondering where your going to remote a turbo?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d2noob
Just wondering where your going to remote a turbo?
Right where the muffler is. Same idea as these guys: Squires Turbo Systems
Old 01-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Banned

Your link doesn't work. Is there enough room?
Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend had a turbo remote mount system already in 2011 under the luggage floor in his Audi A8, but it was a big turbo delay, he had to drive hard so the exhaust system became hot before he could get any turbo pressure. It certainly works well on a large American V8 engine, but a small Audi V8 gives too little exhaust gases and heat for it to work well with a turbo in the rear.
Then he had problems with the dirty air under the car so he had to move the air filter into the luggage compartment.
It was also not possible to have the intercooler at the back as there is only warm air there so he had to remove the AC and mount the IC in the front.
He sold the car after a couple of years, but here are some pictures that the new owner uploaded on this link:
Robins Mek&Klåp - Audi A8 4,2Q banbil SUPERSNIK-EDITION ? Vad händer i garagen ? Sävar Turbo Site

Better to use your RS6 manifolds and turbo and mount them where they should sit behind the engine and If you have an A8/S8 40v engine the Rs6 manifolds will fit, I have a complete RS6 engine in my S8 / RS8, I built a heat shield against the steering gear because it sits so original on the RS6 and If you have no protection, the servo oil boils because of the turbo heat = I have tested this.

I have run with RS6 ECU, it is a bit tricky to connect RS6 motor cables with S8, and then you get a lot of error codes since RS6 has Can-Bus, but I got help from a company that could encode all this. But sometimes I still had some error code that needs to be removed every now and then with VAG-COM software.

So now I drive with aftermarket ECU make: MaxxEcu Pro and I am so pleased, it works so much better and is so much easier to adjust and control everything you want and now also the RS6 electric gas is configured in MaxxEcu if you want to use e-gas and it works great!

Pictures first from 2016 and second how it looks now:

S8-97 with RS6 engine, pic from 2016

S8-97 RS6 engine, MaxxEcu, pic from 2019

And you can find my project tread on this Swedish website:
https://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=0

Last edited by Martin RS8; 01-05-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Banned

I figured there would be fitment issues with going a remote turbo setup. Sorry I'm not going to hack up my interior for a setup like that!

Martin RS8 I like what you've done with your RS6 setup in your S8. I've tried going through your RS8 thread but it's hard with 412 pages.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 years of modifications and track racing takes many pages to write about, but then you know that everything is included and that you will have many pictures and movies to look forward to.
And there will probably be 40 more pages this year.

Last edited by Martin RS8; 01-06-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin RS8
8 years of modifications and track racing takes many pages to write about, but then you know that everything is included and that you will have many pictures and movies to look forward to.
Your RS8 is beautiful and of course that would be the ideal setup. I just don't think RS6 parts are very common or available in the US. Maybe I'm wrong. A remote mount system can work well but you have to size the turbo/s properly. The exhaust can stay the stock size in order to spool the turbo/s and I personally would rather just run without an intercooler if possible. If you're doing low boost you can just do a water/meth kit and that should keep the iat low enough to function well. As far as tuning goes it is unfortunate that nobody has figured out an open source solution for our ecu's. Obviously some of the tuners have figured out how to tune them but only offer off the shelf maps that aren't ideal. The RS6 swap is definitely the one that makes the most sense. I look forward to reading through your journal and watching your videos.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin RS8

Thanks for the info on the MaxxECU. I somehow have to get my project to pass NY emission standards which are nearly as strict as CA so I thinking I may have to do an add-on controller.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The way I read the regulations in CA, you could swap in say a 2003 RS6 Engine, turbos, ECU & all emissions controls into a 2000 A8 and get it CARB certified. The engine has to be newer and have all the emissions equipment of the donor vehicle intact.. CA engine swap guidelines make allowances to use the fuel vapor recovery controls of the vehicle receiving the transplant. Easy process? Heck no, but if you are patient and persistent, I don't see why not. Step 1, find wrecked RS6. Step 2. Do 6 speed swap. Step 3 Enjoy legal super sleeper.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a great project, and I am thinking of something similar.

The first Audi I ever bought is a 99 short wheelbase A8. It needs brakes and suspension, so I rolled it into the shop for a future upgrade when I have time.

Then I stumbled into a C5 RS6 priced well below market due to a variety of minor issues. I thought I'd part that out and use it in the A8 project, but it drives so well I that I decided to keep it whole. I'm told it is tuned to 525hp, and it certainly feels like it.

I'd prefer to stick with the automatic if I can make it reasonably reliable, but a 6 speed swap isn't out of the question.

The electronic issues are also important. The MaxxECU setup sounds promising, and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the instrument cluster and stereo with an Automotive Grade Linux system.

One must have a hobby, as they say.