A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW A8 slide show link

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW A8 slide show link

<ul><li><a href="http://www.auto.t-online.de/AU/DE/de/static_html/Specials/autos/audi/A8/b_01.htm">http://www.auto.t-online.de/AU/DE/de/static_html/Specials/autos/audi/A8/b_01.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 07-11-2002, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default About the A8, I think my impression was being misunderstood, i'm not saying it's a bad car

I'm saying that it's uninspiring, and basically, every car in it's class is good, so what seperates the A8, and nothing seperates the A8, therefore it's bad.

It's not a question of pushing Audi's styling forward, it's a question of competing in your class. The A8, is revolutionary, by maybe Audi standards as far as technology and styling etc, ... is concerned but not so for it's class. The MMI system even is already been employed by BMW. The point I'm trying to get at is that my feeling is the flag ship of a car company, by default, should be just that a flag ship, a means to say to the world da*n't we've got the biggest guns on the block. You should look upon that vessel as though it is a marvel a wonder, it announces your arrival.

The A8 does none of that, stylistically, or technologically, it in appearance and attributes save for the MMI system, is just another luxury car, it's just the average the norm, nothing new under the soon.

as for the keyless entry, the car certainly has a key, look at the console. What I was talking about with MB is even the key is state of the art, MB was the first to use laser cut keys, etc they are the first and only to use, laser/radio frequency encoded keys and the key card is a marvel, is it necessary no(but is anything luxury necessary) ... their technology is always a step ahead of everyone else. The electronic brakes, etc ...

And this is what I'm saying is missing with the A8, when we talk about luxury, we are talking about the unnecessary, the A8 is a good car, I'm not saying that it isn't. It's built well, but so what, so is every other luxury that's why it's called luxury. It has a few gadgets but so what, so does everyone else.

The A8 has all the standards, but what makes the car stand out, nothing, it's average, it's boring, it's not innovative, it's not revolutionary, MMI (well BMW beat them too the punch, old news) ... but do you see what I'm trying to say. The A8 is a good car, no doubt, but it has nothing to it that would make it stand out in it's class.

The A8 uninspiring, that's the only way I can describe it. Audi has great technology in the works, and has momentum, and I felt they could have continued that moment with an A8 that set the bar, not tried to just meet it.

MB's and BMW both try to be that much ahead of the rest in it's class, and it's the very reason why the S-Class and 7-Series are the best sellers in this class. Save for American made Lincolns and Catty's.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:29 AM

Default I completely agree...and Audi will pay for the unispiration with sales being only satisfactory....

How does Audi truly expect to be on the same level as Mercedes and BMW when they fail on such a basic level. Audi has the talent, and their designs are the best IMHO when they put their minds to it. But this is not only true at the large luxury saloon. The same thing is going to apply for the new A3/S3 in a market full of exciting designs like the Mini and Mercedes Sport Coupe. The new A3 will sell fine, but not beat any records. Its going to be a funny thing that in the future, it will be BMW that uses the more modern designs, when they're the ones that cant integrate both stylish and modern together. Audi can, but it dosen't look like they want to(or are to scared). I think it's easy to guess what the new S4 will look like as well. An A4 with a conservative body-kit, don't you think? Lets pray that Audi gets their act together...SOON!
Old 07-11-2002, 12:10 PM
V

Default I only find the front-end dissapointing...

the rest of the car is quite close to the Avantissimo.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:27 PM
adc
AudiWorld Member

Default Well that and the VW Phaeton-like rear end...

Wait until that car hist these shores. The interior is much nicer than the new A8, it pains me to say it .

adc
Old 07-11-2002, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The whole point for the A8 (or at least the old one) is "understated luxury"

Uninspiring looks is a good thing IMO.

Definitely looking forward to test drive the new A8.

When the Phaeton is recognized in the luxury car circle and proven itself with reasonable sales, the A8 will have a more forward design.
Old 07-11-2002, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no, it's not understated, there is no statement to be made???

Is it more luxurious then either Lexus LS430 or Mercedes Benz S-Class, SL, or CL, no .... it's not even worth comparing to the S-Class. Is it as stylish and eye catching as either the S-Class, SL, CL, or the BMW 7-Series ... no. The new A8 inspires nothing. It's like luke warm water, not hot enough for tea, and not cold enough for lemonade, sure, you can work with it. But it really serves no purpose. There is nothing on the new A8 that hasn't been already done. The car has no 2nd look appeal what soever.

Is the interior nice, yes, is the car nice, yes, is it relatively fast yes, is it luxurios sure, but like I said every car in this class has a nice interior, looks decent, and is fast. So, so, what you've got stand above the rest, you've got to be the big fish in the ocean, the MB S-Class does it, the BMW 7-Series does it, Audi could do it.

But for whatever reason, they don't, like I said when you look at the new A8 what does it do for you? It does nothing for me, it looks like the Pheaton, in fact I almost like the Pheaton more.
The new A8 will just wind up being another average luxury car, with average sales, as one person put it, satisfactory, no bad, but certainly nothing special. And I'll tell yuh, a "C" on your report card sucks.

You can call it understated luxury, I'll call it lack of character, and a missed opportunity.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:21 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get Avantissimo headlights afterall!
Old 07-11-2002, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You mean that's not the Pheaton, I would have never guessed .... ?
Old 07-11-2002, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

No statement is a good thing IMO

Quick Reply: NEW A8 slide show link