A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A8 And VW Phaeton

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4EP ... not a problem, I enjoy education lessons ... the man who thinks he knows everything knows

nothing ... as for the Quattro, I never said that Porsche used Quattro, I said Porsche was aided by Audi after Audi's success with Quattro in early 80's rally car events. As for history not lying ... well ... come on cheif that's to easy ... anyway, that's neither here nor there, I believe it was 1959 when VAG bought Audi, but that's neither here nor there either, also, I'm pretty sure Audi owned Porsche at some point, but I perhaps could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident I've read this before.

In any case, good, history lesson for what it's worth, and I have no problem with you telling me I'm wrong, when I'm wrong, in fact, I like it, if more individuals would listen to truth, reason, and logic the world would be a far better place.

Perpahs logic will prevail in convincing the masses the A8 for it's class is nothing special under the sun.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sure u did, sure did, so what does AG mean then come on ...

quick, quick ...
Old 07-23-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Here you go, I found this interesting

Acadia, check out www.audi.com - company - history, it is really interesting to read how Audi got to where they are today. If you click on the link below you will go to the page that shows VW bought Audi in December 1964. There was a lot of stuff in the history I didn't know until I had to prove it and I have you to thank for that BTW I could agree with your assumption that Audi helped out Porsche in the AWD development. It seems logical, I just haven't read it anywhere.

BTW: I have really enjoyed this banter we have had back and forth.

A4EP<ul><li><a href="http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/history/timeline/timeline_1960-1974.jsp">http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/history/timeline/timeline_1960-1974.jsp</a</li></ul>
Old 07-23-2002, 10:40 AM

Default I got yours, how about GmbH?

AG as in: Porsche AG, VAG, Continental AG, Sap AG, is a German ending like our Inc. / Co. that means Public Limited Company as well as Corporation.

hows that?
Old 07-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Elder Member

Notice the key word "deliberately"
Old 07-23-2002, 11:48 PM

Default The A6 is not unmistakable either

It shares the same floor plan and near identicle body work with the (named in the UK) VW Passat.

And personally I prefer the VW. Mainly because it doen't have such ugly tail lights and that really nasty flat slab of metal infront of the front wheel arch.

On the A8/Paeth.., so far I think the VW looks cleaner. In fact a very handsome car. I recon the Audi will really come to form with the first round of tweaks in a year or twos time. For one thing, they have to simplify that fiddly back end, that is still upstaged by the current car.

I saw someone mention that only A8 owners would contimplate the VW. In Europe at least, I suspect a much bigger take up as people are bored of Merc E/S 's and &amp; 7-series. There is also something about the VW brand that people feel accesable (I don't know if that makes sense). A8's don't sell many which suits me fine .
Old 07-24-2002, 06:36 AM

Default Re: I got yours, how about GmbH?

FYI - this is from the offical VW history web site:-

Volkswagenwerk GmbH becomes "Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft" on 22 August 1960. The German Federal Parliament had previously approved, by a large majority, the "Law on the transfer of shares in Volkswagenwerk Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung to private ownership". In accordance with the Volkswagen-act, that was issued on 21 July 1960, 60 % of the capital is sold to the public, while 40 % remains in the hands of the Federal and Land governments. The partial privatization of Volkswagenwerk creates a new public stock in the Federal Republic of Germany. By 15 March of that year, Volkswagen shares with a total nominal value of DM 360 million are issued at a price of DM 350 each. The annual general meeting of stockholders adopted a resolution to change the company name from "Volkswagenwerk AG" to "VOLKSWAGEN AG" on 4 July 1985.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:42 PM
EdG

Default Re: New A8 And VW Phaeton

You know I really hate to tell you folks of this, but it seems that the next A8 shares more then just "design" with the Phaeton. In truth, the next A8 is actually a redesigned Volkswagen Phaeton. Don't sound so suprised or angered. Volkswagen is kin to Audi, and still a heck of a nice car company, they build very nice vehicles. OF course, the shoe goes on the other foot too. the newest "Passat", 2001.5 or newer, is a very slightly redesigned A6 on a stretched A4 platform with the newest having the same suspension (AND WARRENTY)) Look inside a "GLX" one if you don't believe. Car companys have been doing it for years. Now, with the focus of Audi going head to head with BMW and Volkswagen going after Mercedes, they (VW)are going to need a real "Wowwer" So, naturally, turn to your "big brother" at AUDI)) At over 4" longer then the "S" class Mercedes, and totally decked for $70,000 USD_) I'd say let the Battle begin....
Old 07-28-2002, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: New A8 And VW Phaeton

How can the A8 be a "redesignet" Phaeton?
- The A8 was buildt first, but introduction delayed to after Phaetons on purpose
- The A8 is so basically different since it uses an "Aluminium Space Frame".

But of course they share variosu components, anything else would be stupid.

BTW, the new Bentley sports-coupe will use a modified Phaeton platform, and have a redesigned 6.0 litre W12 with biturbo. Oh yezz!