A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New future a8 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Senko
well call me an idiot, apparently Bad fuel is a bastard, Got it to idle now just gotta put some good fuel in it and remove the old fuel, anyone know of a drain plug for the fuel tank? otherwise I gotta think of a good way to get all the old fuel out.
Have never done it on an A8...and nowhere near as simple as on other cars, even with a siphon pump. There is no drain, of course and siphoning it out is NOT simple on these cars. You can't do it through the filler cap...the neck leads directly to the pump for priming purposes..NOT down into the tank. To siphon out, you have to get to both sides of the tank (see drawing)...both of the 2 level sensors have to be removed and the one on the right is also the fuel pump housing...NOT a simple removal.

I've never done it, but would consider doing it with the fuel pump itself, with fuel line out to filter detached with a hose connected, then jump the pump directly to have it empty the tank...the hose connections are on top of the pump under the cover on the right, inside the trunk, under the carpet.

Or possibly disconnecting the fuel line at the filter (under car on passenger's side, just ahead of right-rear tire, above a plastic cover)...you'd need the proper NEW crush washer to replace in that connection or be guaranteed a leak after replacement. Would also have to power (jump) the pump directly for this (on pump or at pump relay in car electrics panel).

CAUTION: The above are just theories on my part...have never actually taken these steps for this purpose.

Last edited by silverd2; 01-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah after some exploration it looks like the pre filter line is gonna be the best option. I just need to find a way to jump the pump.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah after some exploration it looks like the pre filter line is gonna be the best option. I just need to find a way to jump the pump.
Green wire w/red stripe on top of pump (under right cover in trunk) is 12V supply from relay...a wire from battery + to that terminal should do it.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok thanks for the info on the power wire! What kind of fuel should I replace it with? Will the car run on regular or does it require premium?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok and im a dunce it takes premium only. does anyone know how to remove the column on these cars? I have to replace it.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The CD manual from Ross..
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok and im a dunce it takes premium only. does anyone know how to remove the column on these cars? I have to replace it.
You can actually run any grade of gasoline but not a good idea...premium is best, highest horsepower and best mpg's. Like all modern cars, the knock sensor input adjusts the timing as advanced as possible for the gas being burned...premium allows most spark advance, leading to most power and efficiency.

The steering column removal is an involved procedure requiring some exacting observations for disassembly and reassembly...all covered very well in Bentley manual (see link below for cheapest source). I've never had reason to do this in an A8 and don't know of any online tutorials for it. A Bentley manual (or equivalent...Elsa, etc...I use Bentley) is an essential tool, if you're gonna do your own tooling..EVEN with online tutorials, which often leave out or assume foreknowledge of vital facts.

Ross Tech does not sell repair manuals. They are the best software and cable connection company for OB2 diagnostics and re-coding of of all the car's many electronic controls modules.

Bentley manual:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/D2_Cd_Manual/ES6279/
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks man I appreciate all the info you have given me.

Now its time for an update.

So far I have put all the parts I found in the trunk of the car back on the car, I am still missing a couple of minor pieces. If anyone knows the best way to fix or replace them let me know.

The rear view mirror is on the floor. Is it a magnetic system? or is it glued on?

The passenger side visor is also on the floor. It seems one of the screws broke, and is stuck in the mounting bracket.

The center arm rests are also missing, so I am looking for some replacements, the car has tan interior so If anyone has any for sale or sees any let me know!

I have resealed the ECUs with some silicone and also popped a drain hole into the ECU tray, hopefully that will keep any future ECU issues remedied.

I bought a brand new Battery to spec for the car, the previous owner put a volvo 550 CCA battery in it, I replaced with the spec 850 CCA battery with the vent tube connected.

I still have to install a new Ignition Cylinder , the switch and the key lock are both working, the housing for the lock is broken into 3 pieces. I have been looking for any way to just repair it, or swap it out without having to replace the whole column, but so far no luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Arm Rests..

The 2000' Model arm rests are a better idea than the 99's.
Shocan may have them for aprox. $300 delivered.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have a link or something to contact for pictures? if they match and are easy enough to mod to fit I would consider them.

Quick Reply: New future a8 owner