A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pic. Please help me, 01 S8 motor with harnest...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pic. Please help me, 01 S8 motor with harnest...

Hi all, Brand new here first post
I bought a very nice 97 A8 last week, i also bought a "Salvage" 2001 S8 (air bags not deploid!!!!)hit hard and plip over on the snow, i would like to use (swap) the S8 engine into my A8! Can i use the S8 wiring harnest? Is it possible to change harnest? Also my rear fog light switch in the dash:the light stay on all the time, can it be just the switch that is broken?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Welcome here!

I am sure that it is possible. I would change the tranny too. If you have a place, time ( and of course the ability )to do it, go ahead! It's going to take a few weeks. Basically you need to change the ECU, TCU, instrument cluster, tiptronic shifter, springs, brakes, sway bar and probably a few other things. You need a Bentley manual. I would start it tomorrow, but I am crazy. People here know, I take out the tranny in 2 hours just for fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Thanks yes i can do it. I will do it.

Hi again,
Yes i was planning to change all that and more tranny, shifter,springs...the S8 has only 35,000KM!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default It's not straight forward at all

You will need to change:

1. Wiring harness is going to be different, you will need to do a complete change over, if it will work. This includes things like headlights, totally different on the facelift cars. But the engine one is absolutely different.

2. Motor mounts on the facelift are electrical (IE have a power supply) prefacelifts do not.

3. Facelift cars have a CAN bus to communicate, pre facelift cars do not, as tozo tells you, the instrument cluster (and everything behind the dash) is totally different. The connectors aren't even remotely the same.

4. The facelift has an immobilizer in the dash, the prefacelift does not.....don't know how you will get around this one if you change the dash (which you will probably have to).

These are just 4 things that came to my immediate mind. I put a facelift center console in my 97 so I could install a Nav Plus, it was a real engineering project, took at least 60 hours of engineering to complete.

In the end the following didn't work: outside temperature no longer talks to anything and doesn't display in my pre facelift dash and the AC compressor wouldn't turn on/off, had to do a circuit mod and put in a manual toggle switch to turn it on/off (thanks Tom for helping with that!).

Good luck, we want to hear progress and it WILL NOT be easy! You will need the Bently and pretty much need to be an electrical wiz kid.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to buy a 2000 or newer car and drop it right in.

And if you want to get rid of the transmission and rear end of that S8, I'll buy it from you!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good luck! Let us know how is going.

We have a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. If you have a question, just ask away. I am sure, that someone will help you. Buy a Bentley and ETKA and take pictures.
Check out this site also.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/">http://www.audipages.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Thanks no i can't do it.

Looks like it's going to be easier to fix the S8! God, Paul you may be right better to find other option.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can't believe someone here ....

bought it!! That's cool. If it was near me I would of Anyway, I agree with PaulW that swapping engine/trans issue may not be as easy as it sounds. It may be worth it to rebuild the S8 (if the frame is not too bad). Anyway, good luck with it and if you part out the S8, let me know ... I can give U a list of stuff I need!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

That still looks like a A8L to me
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why is it still on EBay??
Old 10-06-2005, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

New seller, probably too busy to end the auction.

Quick Reply: New pic. Please help me, 01 S8 motor with harnest...