A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S8 owner with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S8 owner with a few questions.

Just bought a lightly used 2002 S8 today. It is a beautiful black stealth-mobile with 17500 documented miles. I would say it is in the driveway except my wife took it for a little test drive 2 hours ago and hasn't come back .

Was formerly on the forum a few years ago with a 99 A8 (SDA8) and finally found time, money and space for a barely broken in one owner car that is in really great shape.

Have been over the car with the Checklist and Guide from AudiFans (thanks PaulW), pulled all the records since it was serviced since new at Hoehn Audi locally, clean CARFAX and had Miramar Audi do a full pre-purchase inspection with me present and the car was incredbly clean.

Only found a few items that need work:
1) the battery restraint clamp is missing (battery had recently been replaced)
2) the black plastic rotary **** near the drink holder has a broken clip and spins freely.
3) the left rear seatheater switch doesn't rotate freely
4) one of the front wheels has minor curbrash (spare is still unused)
5) time for new tires (Tirerack has Dunlop SportMaxx's for $135/tire)

Any hints on finding or building a battery restraint for a new Interstate battery that is probably a little bigger than the OEM one was?

How about a source for the plastic rotary **** for the 'menu selector' without buying a whole new unit?

Anyhow, it's great to see there is still a friendly and useful forum of enthusists here in D2World. Also nice to see that there are still has a few familiar names.

Paul

Current
02 S8
03 M5S2
98 M3/4
02 Yukon

Former
99 A9
95.5 S6 Avant mit RS2
94 S4
95 M3
91 318is
87 Rx7 Turbo
81 Fiat X1/9
Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Congrats and welcome home!

I recently purchased an '01 S8 and my wife seems to be taking "my car" more often too! Anyway, these cars a great and it sounds like you got a REALLY great one. I don't know about the menu **** but here is a link that may be a possibility?<ul><li><a href="http://www.4usedaudiparts.com/new_arrivals/archive.html">http://www.4usedaudiparts.com/new_arrivals/archive.html</a</li></ul>
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome back- looks like you've found a great example. How about some pics...

when your wife brings the car back?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TOO MANY //S8 "PAUL's"!!! 8-)

That's sorta funny!

Welcome Paul. Sounds like you're in South Dakota? Rocket scientist extrapolator extraordinairre I am and all. Congrats on what sounds like an outright time capsule! What a find!

Color / options / plans / etc.?

If it makes you feel any better seemingly all them center console ***** are kaput. Interesting even @ 17k - prolly suspect from the day Hans put them in (Hitler's revenge item).

I've heard pretty good things about them Sport Maxx, great looking pattern and lotta tire for the $. I think I recall they may be a bit noisy, but for the cost who cares?

Interesting to hear on the Interstate battery size issue. Makes me glad I (for once) made a good decision last Thurs. and opted for an OE battery. Sorry I'm of no help for where to source the bracket - boneyard maybe?

Gots to say sir - yous gots some pretty great taste in cars! 8-) Pretty neat history you've had (have!) there. Kudos.

Must be a Paul thang heh heh.

Anywho welcome back, enjoy that machine of yours (swat wife away!)...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: New S8 owner with a few questions.

Where in SD do you live? I just picked up an '03 S8.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In our case SD is San Diego>Scripps Ranch

Are you in South Dakota?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the kind words.

May have to fabricate a new mount or get an OEM size battery. Trying for find a 02/03 S8 locally in san Diego so I can check out the battery setup. Know I had to replace the battery on the old A8 but so long ago I don't remember too much.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hopefully pics by Tuesday

Getting new tires and a time related oil change on Tues AM.

Have a kids hockey tournament up in Anaheim thru Monday and still have to get the family's digital camera back from my daughter. At least I have the car back from my wife.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: In our case SD is San Diego>Scripps Ranch

I live in PB and work in RB.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Lunch?

Might have to meet for lunch some time and compare notes. S8's are pretty few and far between down here where as E39 M5's are a dime a dozen.

Quick Reply: New S8 owner with a few questions.