A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shoes on D2 S8! =D

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
I just see 5 red X where pics should be...???
??? Others seem to be able to see them fine??

Originally Posted by audinutt
The rubber band look doesn't fit the d2, I like the wheels, just need more sidewall IMO.
Yea i agree.... New tires are going to be on order very shortly.I need to find the right green in a spray can for my calipers.

I agree 100%. Some 20" designs just look awful on a D2, while others complement quite nicely. I myself recently purchased a set of D3 (2007 model) S8 20" wheels and just love the way they look in person. I went back and forth for a while between these and the RS4 style wheels, but when I found a set of freshly reconditioned alloys for what I considered to be a bargain, I didn't hesitate any longer. After a set of center caps from GAP, I now have a "new" set of 4 alloys for 1.5x the price that my local Audi dealer wanted for ONE WHEEL! These behind my new zinc coated rotors and I'll be happy as can be .........

Order of Priorities
1. Grip/Response
2. Comfort/Noise
3. Price
4. Treadlife
I was toying with the RS4 wheel as well. But I see them around too much (Audis, VW's etc..) and many with D2 opt for them as well... Was lookin for something different....And 100% in agreement with some wheels that you would think or do look GREAT on other cars look hideous on the D2. Great pickup on the D3 S8 wheels.... Sounds like a great deal and those rotors will be niiiiiiice..... Did you go with a larger size rotor or is that stock??? Looks nice a beefy!!!

As for the tire discussion, My best friend has Pilot Sports on his E46 ///M3 with a blower on it...Rain or weather... they suck...but dry nice days... OMG... unbelieveable... Im not sure which line of Pilot Sports they are, they stick. Im going to use the stock 18"s for Winter Rims with some beefy winter tires so Im not too worried about cold or winter. Pilot Sports arent cheap, and depending on how you drive is going to determine treadlife. They are a tire made for aggressive driving. Gotta pay to play sometimes...
Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the pics on my kindle but not laptop...so weird. But yes I agree...those rubber bands are whack! I love the wheels though...good proportions. I'm completely over the RS4 style and so happy I kept it S8 OEM.

Those rotors are stock with custom machining and btlack zinc coating. Dimples have chamfered edges for less noise and just give a unique look. The rotor face will become silver upon first braking...hubs, vanes and dimples will remain black.

I'm aware of the cold weather issues with PS2..this is why I'm interested in the new PSS. I believe this model is more suited for cold weather...I'll keep researching. Colorado has been hitting 100s lately though...we do have 300 sunny days/year.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just reading the latest Car and Driver, and they tested tires in the issue.

The Conti's did not come in first in the dry, but won in the wet, and rated well for ride and wear.

I figure a 340 rated wear super high grip tire at a great price from Continental was a better choice than the PS2, or PSS etc. I've run Pilot Sport A/S tires, and loved them two times now, but they just are too dang expensive for what you get. (And the A/S tires have great wear ratings, with the soft compound only out on the edge, where you need it, and yes, it does wear different, and I've seen some rubber compound seperation between the high mile compound, and softer edges when it was pushed on my 2004 A8L that I used them on. The fronts would push like crazy on the stock rubber, the Pilot Sport A/S cured that in 275 wide, on 20x10 rims, but now with the new much higher limits, the outside edges would get feathered at the seam line between the soft and harder compounds on the tire when pushed.

The Conti's have worn very well so far, and I love the smooth, quiet ride at about 100.00 LESS per tire than Pilot Sports.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Adjuster
Was just reading the latest Car and Driver, and they tested tires in the issue.

The Conti's did not come in first in the dry, but won in the wet, and rated well for ride and wear.

I figure a 340 rated wear super high grip tire at a great price from Continental was a better choice than the PS2, or PSS etc. I've run Pilot Sport A/S tires, and loved them two times now, but they just are too dang expensive for what you get. (And the A/S tires have great wear ratings, with the soft compound only out on the edge, where you need it, and yes, it does wear different, and I've seen some rubber compound seperation between the high mile compound, and softer edges when it was pushed on my 2004 A8L that I used them on. The fronts would push like crazy on the stock rubber, the Pilot Sport A/S cured that in 275 wide, on 20x10 rims, but now with the new much higher limits, the outside edges would get feathered at the seam line between the soft and harder compounds on the tire when pushed.

The Conti's have worn very well so far, and I love the smooth, quiet ride at about 100.00 LESS per tire than Pilot Sports.
Thanks...I took your advice and bought a set of Continentals...talked the tire shop down to $199/tire and couldn't be happier. I also added a TPMS system, although I'm not positive at what pressure to run 20's at (255/35)...at the moment all at 40psi. Now, just to decide if she needs to go lower
Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks...I took your advice and bought a set of Continentals...talked the tire shop down to $199/tire and couldn't be happier. I also added a TPMS system, although I'm not positive at what pressure to run 20's at (255/35)...at the moment all at 40psi. Now, just to decide if she needs to go lower
Don't think photos uploaded 1st time around.
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it looks great, don't drop it any more than stock. (That's my plan.)

Glad you saved money on the Conti DW's, they are great tires, and I've been nothing but pleased with them so far now at nearly 4000 miles, they show nearly zero wear, and are still smooth, quiet and grip beyond what you can really use on the street in most cases. (The passengers in my car are not happy when you fail to brake into corners, and then smoothly without any tire noise, just around the corner... LOL) I on the other hand, love it.

The S8 has a pretty high negative camber setting stock, so if you push your tires, you will get more even wear over time too I've found. (The stock suspension is higher, and thus has less negative camber, as the suspension is designed to add more as it's compressed into a corner, like most modern suspensions.)

One thing I've noticed about the DW's is they block up over night, but are usually totally round again within a few miles at the most. (I've had some Goodyears that were still blocky all the way to work, over 9 miles.) That was a good tire, but dang, it was even worse when cold, and on my Supra, with all the suspension mods, I'd feel every out of round rotation.

ON a hot day, the DW's are round inside of a 1.5 miles. It's simply amazing to me that they smooth out so fast, and have worn so well with the level of grip they can produce. (Locally, Bogus Basin road is pretty fun on a motorcycle, and I've run it a few times now in the S8, and been very impressed with the grip, and lack of wear from the tires. It's not autocross levels of abuse, but dang close in parts, and pushed to the limit, I think some higher durometer rubber/urethane sway bar bushings would help the S8 corner better, the stock suspension, short of adjustable links/uppers and fabricated custom parts, is about as good as it gets for a "sedan" of this stealth capability.

Sure, the guy in the WRX or EVO is expected to corner fast, but when you hang out with them on the twisty bits, they get pretty upset!

And my S8 does not loosen fillings, or knock my kidneys loose around town. (There is no overcoming the weight bias, and fact that it's much bigger car, but most folks don't drive their cars to the limit anyway, so you can really work the S8 in ways it's designed, and get dang close to the limits of "rally" cars de-tuned for the street such as the AWD ones mentioned before. I nearly bought a EVO MR, and was impressed with how it handled, but around town? They are just absolutely uncomfortable to live with.)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think photos uploaded 1st time around.
Lookin good buddy!! Moar Lower!!!

I'm thinking about getting the Conti DWS's for Amy's Touareg and running them year round.

Last edited by CJ_S4; 08-20-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally shot a few of the current wheels/tires on my 2001 S8.

This is on stock S8 springs, just over 77,000 miles on it.

Sorry, it's dirty, I use/drive my car for real world use.. LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJ_S4
Lookin good buddy!! Moar Lower!!!

I'm thinking about getting the Conti DWS's for Amy's Touareg and running them year round.
Yea sorta wish I got those instead of the all seasons I went with...my Nero's scream in the corners (partially my right foot's fault) but are great in the snow.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

nice wheels!!
nice pics!!
nice avatar!!

Quick Reply: New shoes on D2 S8! =D