A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Issues (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Issues (long)

I am still having some misfire issues after two tanks of good gas and a big can of tecron. The gas helped, but the problem hasn't completely gone away. I've got a VAG-COM and a Bentley and want to start comparing my performance logs to specs - but I'm not sure what Ï'm looking for. Here are some of my issues

1) I have an occasional misfire on nearly all cylendars that sets off a flashing CEL and results in vibrations.

2) My idle speed at Park when I first turn on the car is erratic and climbs up to 2k. other times it is normal 0.8k or so

3) Error codes indicate my fuel level sensor is bad (fault to pos)

4) I noticed that my temperature is elevated (more than halfway up on the guage) - although it was 90 in Denver today

5) I have a bad shift lock solenoid that makes a repeated clicking sound in park sometimes

6) hunt/thump/quiver/stutter in the tranny

Issues I'm considering tracking down are: improper timing belt job, bad ECU, vacuum leaks, failing fuel pump, MAF sensor, ???

I'm just getting my feet wet with figuring out how to digest all the info VAG COM is giving me. I want to check all the "easy" things first. Any help will result in FREE BEER if you are in Denver or a heartfelt thankyou if you aren't.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I would run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in full tank of gas.

2; Clean the ICV (top of the throttle body)
4; Try to bleed the system and check the fans.5; It could be loose wiring (I have an extra solenoid, email me if you need it)
Old 06-15-2007, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it could also be one of your rear hoses (under the back of the manifold)

There are 2 big hoses in the back of the engine that Bitcrowell had a sweet series of pics for. His were completely blown out and were causing all sorts of probs for him. Do a search for him (i think is forum name is BITCROWELL) or maybe someone has the link to his pix...i used to have it saved but my poor mac died and im on a spare PC. Also, as TOZO said, pull the ICV at the back of the engine, right above the intake and clean it out good. I would also look into your POSs & plugs (if you havent already)...Sorry to hear you are back to the drawing board with the misfires...im gonna put $5 on the compression being low with a resulting mis-aligned timing belt. Just a hunch. HOPE IM WRONG
Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: it could also be one of your rear hoses (under the back of the manifold)

I hope you're wrong about the timing belt. I have a hunch that is also it. I am going to try everything else first. Thanks for the tip on the hoses, throttle body and other items - I had not come across those issues here yet.

I haven't checked either POS yet - misfires on both sides indicate that if this was the issue it would have to be both units. Spark plugs were changed recently. Audi deal said issue was TCM - it wasn't it.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, Audi told me (with CERTAINTY) that it was my rear Differential!!! LOSERS
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Similar problems w/ my 97 A8, getting parts to try

Eric, my 97 A8 is having similar problems, misfires on 1,2,3,4 cylinders (passenger side), the radom misfires all cylinders. Spark plugs are coated with carbon on passenger side. Fuel trim bank 1 too lean, bank 2 too rich, O2 sensor circuit malfuntion.

This all happend 2 weeks after I replaced the Bosh +4 plugs with NGK. Runs fine except stalls when idling. Thinking it was the new plugs I went back to the Bosh, but in 2 week most of spark plug connectors have split apart. Wierd

So im waitng for my 8x$40 order of spark wire to arrive. Hope that is the problem and I did not cause anything worse.

Also, have you got the VAG-COM software to access the transmission? I can read the engine but not the trans, dont know why, neither does ross-tech. Looking to re-code once I get this fixed.
Saw your message for a free beer, Im in the Denver area , look me up if you read this.

Roman
Arvada